I eat a lot of salads, like a lot. Basically, I eat rabbit food for lunch as a way to justify eating sweets for dessert. I figure it’s a fair trade off. I tend to get bored with my salads because no matter what you do to them or what you put in them they are really just a salad. Meanwhile I could have the exact same ice cream with the exact same toppings everyday for weeks straight and for some reason that never gets old. I love food so I want to try to keep every meal as exciting as possible, which is why I’m always on the hunt for new salad recipes. I found this vegetarian taco salad and it’s like eating a healthy taco in a bowl!
This salad is full of southwestern flavors and it’s super delicious.
Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe
(About 6 servings)
Ingredients For Salad:
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of corn
- 3/4 cup carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Ingredients For Dressing:
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions For Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, vinegar, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Directions For Salad:
- In a large bowl, add the salad greens.
- In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, corn, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno, and shredded cheese and then place on top of the salad greens.
- Top the salad with the dressing.
If you like tacos then you’ll love this salad. Tomatoes. Check. Lettuce. Check. Cheese. Check. Everybody builds their tacos differently but those are the essentials, right? There’s no meat in this taco salad but it’s still packed with protein from the black beans. We’ll pretend those are the meat here. Plus, I’ve added some other fun stuff that’s notorious in Mexican cuisine, jalapenos, avocados, and corn. There are so many great textures and flavors going on here!
The homemade dressing is full of southwestern flavors and is a perfect topping for a salad.
This is a great make-ahead salad (just leave the dressing off until you are ready to eat it). I made it on Sunday to bring to work with me during the week. Even the avocado chunks didn’t get that scary which was pleasantly surprising.
One of the best things that I love about salads is that you can substitute or omit ingredients and still end up with something delicious. If you don’t want the heat, then skip the jalapenos. If you have white beans in the cabinet, then swap out the black ones for those. I love the mix of flavors in this salad but you can customize yours however you want.
What’s your favorite salad?
Salad adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens
Dressing source: The Scrumptious Pumpkin
Here are some other healthy meals that I love to take for lunches.