TGIF! Are you ready for the weekend? Who isn’t? When my husband and I don’t have to rush out of the house in the morning, we like to make a nice breakfast. When I say “we” I really mean “he” makes our weekend breakfasts. Remember that lovely French Toast? That was courtesy of my boo. For a change, I’m going to be in charge of breakfast!
These tarts have a sweet potato crust and are filled with mushrooms, bacon and an egg.
Mushroom, Bacon and Egg Tart With a Sweet Potato Crust Recipe
- 1 slice of thick cut bacon
- 1 medium sweet potato, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 to 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set it aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon and then move it to a paper towel.
- Chop the bacon once it has cooled and then set it aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the shredded sweet potato in the bacon grease until it’s tender and slightly browned.
- Spray 2 mini tart pans generously with cooking spray and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Scoop half of the shredded sweet potatoes into each pan. Use your fingers to gently press the hash browns into the sides and bottom of the tart pan. (Make sure you press firmly so that it sticks together once it’s cooked.)
- Bake the shredded sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes or until they are browned.
- While the shredded sweet potatoes are baking, in a skillet, on Medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and mushrooms and season with garlic powder, pepper, salt and thyme. Cook until the vegges are tender, then set them aside.
- Once the sweet potato crust is done cooking, crack 1 egg into each crust and then sprinkle the top of each egg with chopped bacon and mushroom mixture.
- Bake the mini tarts for about 8 minutes or until the egg whites are set.
- When done, remove the finished product from the mini tart pan and serve immediately.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Usually when I think of a tart, I think of food that has a shortbread crust or a pastry crust, like my Breakfast Tart. While that would be super delicious with this filling, I decided to go a different route today.
I pre-cooked the shredded sweet potato a bit in the bacon grease to give it wonderful flavor. (This meant that I didn’t have to figure out how to carefully throw away the excess bacon grease. Bonus! 😉 ) Then the oven did the rest of the work, turning the shreds of sweet potato into a crunchy crust.
Everything just works here! The mushrooms are nicely seasoned with herbs, which gives the whole tart awesome flavor. The bacon is… well, bacon and that’s awesome all on its own. If you’ve got bacon for breakfast then of course you’ve got eggs.
This tart is sort of like a rearranged diner breakfast. The crust is a re-imagined view of hash brown potatoes. The egg and the mushrooms could easily be an omelette. Bacon. Duh. Is bacon. Add it all together and you have something college kids everywhere flock to if they are lucky enough to have a diner near their school.
If you don’t have these adorable mini tart pans you can use a muffin pan instead. However, you may need to adjust the cooking times and you may need to adjust the amount of bacon and mushrooms that you add on top of the egg. Otherwise, it’s totally doable.
What are you up to this weekend?
Here are some other awesome breakfast treats to enjoy this weekend.