Chili season is in full swing and I’ve got a new recipe for you.
I don’t use a slow cooker often and by that I mean that we use it for one recipe, pea soup. So I’m trying to use it more for other recipes, which is where this taco chicken chili recipes comes in. The best part about this chili is that you don’t have to touch raw chicken. You put it, along with all of the other ingredients into your slow cooker and let it do the dirty work.
I love that this chili option has chicken instead of the standard issue ground beef. A girl likes variety. 😉 All the beans and corn make it extra hearty. Let’s not overlook all the flavor going from the taco seasonings, cumin and chili powder. This is some seriously good eats.
This chili is a great meal to make ahead of time if you’re entertaining. Call it a “chili bar.” The chili is the center of attention of course. Place some cornbread, Italian bread, and crackers in pretty baskets or whatever containers you love. Also add a variety of traditional chili toppings in little dishes, like cheese, sour cream, avocado, herbs, limes, and jalapenos. Everyone gets to make their very own chili concoction. I had a chili bar last year for a couple of dinner parties and they were a huge hit.
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Chili Recipe
(Makes about 6 to 8 servings)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chili peppers
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a slow cooker, add the first 10 ingredients (that’s everything but the chicken) and stir everything together.
- Add the chicken and make sure all the pieces are completely covered with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or on Low for 8 to 10 hours. The timing will depend on how big your chicken is. It took ours 4 hours 30 minutes on High for the chicken to be cooked properly.
- Remove the chicken, shred or chop it, and return it to the slow cooker. Stir everything together.
Slightly adapted from: SC&P