If you are looking for a healthy appetizer recipe then I’ve got one for you.
I love good old fashioned nachos, but sometimes I want something a little more on the healthy side. That’s where these mini pepper nachos come in.
They are exactly what it sounds like. You replace the chips for little adorable bell peppers. Then you top the little guys with whatever your heart desires, you know, all the typical nacho toppings. Keep in mind that the toppings determine if it’s truly a “healthy” appetizer. I used ground turkey and low fat cheese to stick with the healthy theme. You can certainly use ground beef instead or skip the meat entirely to make them vegetarian. This is just one good example of how to turn these little peppers into a nacho party that you love.
These are so delicious even if they don’t look it. I suppose that’s kind of the deal with nachos though because it’s a bunch of stuff on stuff on other stuff.
Mini Pepper Nachos Recipe
(Makes about 8 servings)
- 16 mini bell peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix (I used Old El Paso original taco seasoning 1 ounce package mix.)
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- (optional) additional toppings like olives, salsa, sour cream, or/and jalapenos
- Slice the mini bell peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds. Set them aside.
- In a large skillet, on medium/high heat, cook the ground turkey with the taco seasoning mix according to the directions on the taco seasoning package.
- Fill the mini peppers with the cooked ground turkey and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the ground turkey.
- Turn the oven on broil and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Keep an eye on them because broiling things always sneaks up on you. The cheese will melt fast once it gets going and you don’t want to burn them.
- Remove them from the oven and top with additional optional toppings.
Adapted from: My Food and Family