What the what? Is this a recipe for green healthy stuff right in the middle of the holiday cookie baking season? Yes, but it’s only a minor detour.
The other day my husband told me that we don’t eat enough veggies. We’ve been kinda surrounded by cookies, bagels and pizza. Remember a while back when I mentioned that I was in a “food mood” where I only wanted to eat pizza and bagels? Well, I have gotten a little bit better at eating healthier, but not 100% based on my husband’s comment.
I was determined to answer my hubby’s request so when I went to the grocery store I was determined to buy some good old fashioned vegetables. Then I came home with broccoli… broccoli. For those of you taking notes, I’ve posted one recipe with broccoli in it since I started this blog in February 2013. I’m pretty much like a 10 year old kid when it comes to this green veggie… it’s the only food left on my dinner plate.
Nevertheless, I thought I’d be open minded and buy it. It looks like it paid off because I love this dish, so much so that I made it a second time in the same week. My husband consumed nearly the whole first batch in one sitting! Thaaaat might be a bit extreme, but he obviously enjoyed it. 😉
What makes this roasted broccoli so special? I think it’s because of the panko crumbs and cheese. There’s just something about those crispy pieces of panko crumbs that makes me feel like I’m not just eating a boring plate of broccoli.
Then there’s the cheese. This is not your standard issue broccoli and cheese dish, where it’s loaded with cheese, fat, and calories. A simple sprinkling of cheddar cheese goes a long way to flavor town and it helps to keep this dish healthy (well, as healthy as veggies can be with cheese involved). Not that I’m counting calories during high cookie season, but it’s a bonus.
I know that broccoli isn’t as exciting as cookies… After all, it is broccoli. (Sorry, broccoli.) I wonder if there’s a good broccoli cookie recipe out there. Anyone? 😉
Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe
(About 4 servings)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread the panko crumbs into a 13 x 9 inch pan and place into the oven for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces. (I used only the florets because I don’t care for the stems.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the broccoli, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper and set aside. Remove the panko from the oven and add it to the bowl with the broccoli mixture. Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Return the mixture to the pan and bake it for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Move the broccoli to a serving platter and sprinkle it with the finely shredded cheddar cheese.
Slightly adapted from: Alton Brown
Here are some other sexy side dishes.
Tina, this looks amazing! I’m craving lots of greens (maybe to counteract all the sugar?) and I love roasted broccoli. Especially what that cheese on top!
I know what you mean! I think I’m feeling the same way. 🙂
Mmm even amongst all the cookies, I always love broccoli (especially with cheese!). This looks delicious.
How lovely with a green recipe admidst all the sweet stuff 🙂 Looks wonderful
What a yummy way to incorporate some greens into your diet! Broccoli is one one of my favorite veggies but I rarely have it since my husband doesn’t like it…can’t wait to try this one out. Great recipe!
I find it hard to make veggies appealing and this dish is! I hope you like it. Also, it makes for great leftovers… if you’re husband skips it. 😉