I am nuts for my hubby. Get it nuts… nut bars. Even though Valentine’s Day is still a couple of weeks away, I’ve already asked my husband if he’ll be my valentine. I do this to him every year and he always says it’s not time yet because he feels Valentine’s Day is the day for valentines. Technically he’s right but it’s good to plan ahead, right?
I usually post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but I missed yesterday. Busy? Lazy? Tired? All of the above. It was however bothering me and couldn’t leave it alone (and I’m sure you didn’t even notice) so here I am posting on a Saturday.
Today I decided to work out at home instead of going to my kick boxing class because it’s so windy and cold outside. We’re talking wind chills in the negative teens. I just couldn’t make myself go out in the cold. Then, because I’m nuts as previously mentioned, I decided to go out and run an errand. Nothing exciting so far, but wait there’s more.
It’s so windy out that a lot of the snow has blown over the driveway. Getting out of the driveway I had gravity to help since it’s a little bit down hill, but guess who couldn’t get her car back up the driveway when she got home? I ran into the house in a panic (perhaps even like a crazy lady) and I was relieved to see that my husband was awake. He tried to calm me down and then went out to rescue my car, which he did in a matter of seconds. Yes, all is right again in my world. My hubby is my knight in shining armor, you know, without any of the silly shining armor but all of the good knight like bits. That’s one of the countless reasons why I love him and why I’m thankful that he’ll be my valentine in a few weeks.
Now I’m bundled under two blankets, sipping on hot coffee, and trying to warm up. Of course now I must simply tell you about these nutty scrumptious treats! Seriously, these bars are all about the nuts. I used a pre-mixed variety container of nuts but you can certainly use whatever kinds you like. Can we talk about how gooey these are? That dark luscious layer is all sorts of soft and gooey fabulousness.
The crust is made with a cake mix! I know! It’s like a really fast and easy way to a shortbread like cookie bottom. It’s one of the best inventions ever. Can you imagine all the fun things you can add crust to with this little secret?
Have a lovely Saturday! (Not Friday, don’t judge me.)
Gooey Mixed Nut Bars Recipe
(Makes about 32 bars)
- 1 package of yellow or vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter (equivalent to 1 stick)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light color corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups salted mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Grease it and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- While that’s baking, prepare the mixed nut layer. Melt the 1/3 cup of butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, cinnamon, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and eggs. (You may want to make sure you add the other ingredients before the eggs to prevent the hot butter from scrambling.)
- Stir in the chopped mixed nuts.
- Pour the nut mixture over the hot crust and bake it again for about 25 minutes or until it’s golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
- Let the bars cool in the pan. Then using the edges of the parchment paper, lift it out of the pan and cut into bars.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Here are some other awesome treats to share with your valentine.