I love it when I find a crowd pleasing appetizer. You know, when you put something out, you turn away, and the next thing you know they’re gone. I’ve made these min taco meatballs several times and I never have any leftovers!
It’s so weird how delicious food can come across as unappealing in a photograph. I actually thought about not posting this recipe because I couldn’t get the meatballs to look “pretty.” But my husband convinced me to go ahead since they really are an awesome dish. Hopefully you’ll just take my word for it and try them. 🙂 The honest truth is if you like tacos and meatballs then you will adore these “taco-ish” bite size treats.
Mini Taco Meatballs Recipe
(makes about 35 meatballs)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups (equivalent to 8 ounces) reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the water and taco seasoning together.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir together.
- Add the ground beef, mixing well until combined.
- Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Shape the meat mixture into balls (about 2 teaspoons of meat each) and place them on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake them for about 11 minutes or until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Once you remove the meatballs from the oven, place them on paper towels.
Serve immediately. You can store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer.
Mix the water and taco seasoning together. It’s okay that it looks like mud.
Then mix in the shredded cheese and ground beef.
All you need are three ingredients (not including the water) to make this top notch recipe!
I strongly recommend covering your baking sheet with tin foil because the cheese and beef juices will melt on the baking sheet while they are cooking. The tin foil will make your life much easier when it’s time to clean up.
Shape the meatballs, I used a cookie scooper so they all came out the same size. This will help the meatballs cook evenly. After you’ve portioned them, you need to roll them in your hands or they will fall apart. Roll each meatball in your hands to help prevent this. While rolling them the shredded cheese has a tendency to want to fall out, so you’ll need to squish the meatball in your hands before you try to roll it into a ball.
These meatballs are loaded with cheese! Since there are no bread crumbs, the cheese really helps to bind the beef together.
They are so moist and juicy!
These mini meatballs have a slight hint of heat (from the taco seasoning), which is perfect when you’re going for that taco essence. Mmm, taco-y!
Do you have a favorite appetizer recipe?
Adapted from: Taste of Home