Whenever I host a brunch I always love to serve some type of bread or loaf because I think it’s perfect for late morning or early afternoon time and it pairs well with the other typical brunch foods.
This bread is not really a bread, like you’d make a sandwich with. It’s a wonderful spice cake. The ribbon of cinnamon sugar in the middle of the loaf is similar to a streusel in a coffee cake, but there are no nuts in this loaf.
Cinnamon-Sugar Crust Cinnamon-Ribbon Bread Recipe
(Makes 1 loaf)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with tin foil, grease and flour it and then set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the white sugar and cinnamon and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the buttermilk. Set the wet ingredients aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, nutmeg, and baking soda.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a spatula, being careful not to over mix. Mix until the dry ingredients are just moist. Lumps are okay.
- Pour half of the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 75% of the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the batter.
- Top with the remaining half of the batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Store it in an air tight container at room temperature or in a freezer friendly bag in the freezer.
This cake-like bread is super simple to make. I started with the cinnamon sugar mixture, which is simply mixing cinnamon and white sugar together.
Mix the rest of the ingredients together, being careful not to over mix.
The ribbon of cinnamon sugar that runs through the middle of the loaf is so pretty and easy to do! All you need to do is alternate layers of batter and cinnamon sugar mixture.
I love the spices in this loaf. The brown sugar and nutmeg give this loaf that wonderful golden color. Look at the cinnamon sugary goodness in the middle! Oh, it’s so delicious. Plus, it pairs lovely with the nutmeg flavors in the loaf.
The cake is extremely moist and the cinnamon sugar crust adds a little crunch.
I made this delicious cinnamon bread for my friend and her family and it was a huge hit. This recipe is known in my house by me and my husband as the “cinnamon bread,” but it sure holds true to its original source name of “Cinnamon Sugar Crust Cinnamon Ribbon Bread” because it’s exactly that…cinnamon-sugar crust [with] a cinnamon-ribbon [in the] bread. 🙂
What are your favorite brunch foods?
Thanks, Averie at Averie Cooks, for an awesome bread recipe!
Looking for other tasty loaves? My Classic Banana Bread is seriously the best banana bread ever.
Or Lemon Blueberry Loaf, perfect this time of year.