Last week I posted about these delicious Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. I made them for our neighborhood Easter potluck dinner. While I knew they’d be a huge hit with the adults I wanted to do something a bit more fun for the kids so I turned some of those cookies into these cookie sandwiches. Who am I kidding, these were fun for us adults too. 😉 You know what the best part about these cookie sandwiches is? Well, aside from the fact that they are awe-sooooome, they are still gluten-free!
These flourless peanut butter cookies are filled with a layer of gluten-free vanilla buttercream and surrounded with colorful nonpareils.
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches Recipe
(Makes 11 cookie sandwiches)
Ingredients for Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies:
- 1 batch of Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- about 1/2 cup nonpareils
- In a medium bowl, beat together the softened butter until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract. (Note, if the mixture is not stiff enough then add more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until you have the desired consistency.)
- I used Oxo’s medium size cookie scoop to measure roughly 1 and 1/2 tablespoons into the middle of the flat side of a cookie. (Using other measuring spoons or eyeballing it is okay too.)
- Place a second cookie on top of the buttercream and gently press down until the buttercream spreads out and gets to the edge of the cookies.
- Gently roll each cookie sandwich in the nonpareils.
Everyone knows about cookie sandwiches, right? Like Oreos or Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. Well, these are something like that only gluten-free and homemade and peanut butter and… hmm… so they aren’t exactly the same, but they sure are delicious.
Cookie + a scoop of vanilla buttercream…
Cookie + a scoop of vanilla buttercream + cookie = cookie sandwich.
Be careful lining the buttercream with the non pareils. They go everywhere. (I made these last week and I’m still finding those darn things all over the kitchen.)
Ta da! You’ve got fun cookie sandwiches. The flourless peanut butter cookies are chewy and full of peanut butter flavor. Um, it’s a peanut butter cookie, so that probably doesn’t come as a shock. They are nice and sturdy though, perfect for loading them up with buttercream. 🙂
This buttercream should be firm enough that it holds its shape, but soft enough that it squishes easily. It’s vanilla-y, sweet, and silky smooth. What more can you ask for from the tasty center of a cookie sandwich? I know I’ll be using this recipe for other fun baked goodies! Let’s face it, this stuff tastes good straight out of the bowl with a spoon, not that I did that. 😉
You should have seen the kids’ faces light up when they saw these cookie sandwiches. It was awesome. Even better was the reaction of our gluten-free neighbor when she realized she could eat them. 🙂
What is it about nonpareils or sprinkles that make me smile? Do they have that affect on you too?
These cookie sandwiches are proof that gluten-free eating can look fun and taste ridiculously delicious. 🙂
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies adapted from: King Arthur Flour
Vanilla Buttercream recipe slightly adapted from: Sally’s Baking Addiction
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Looking for other Spring time goodies to make?