How did I use those homemade Chocolate Wafers that I made last week? Drum roll please… I initially wanted to make a straightforward ice cream sandwich. You know, the rectangle shaped ones where the chocolate cookie part unfortunately sticks to your fingers. Um, yeah, the simple beginning somehow snowballed into this amazing concoction. Hey, I’m not complaining. I’m super happy with the end result, even if I strayed a little bit from my original intent.
I’ve sandwiched homemade coconut “ice cream” in between two chocolate cookies, dipped half of it into chocolate, and sprinkled chopped pistachios on top.
Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches Dipped in Chocolate and Pistachios Recipe
(Makes 13 ice cream sandwiches)
- 1 batch of chocolate wafers (you’ll have some extras)
- 2 ounces of 1/3 less fat cream cheese (also known as Neufchatel cheese)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups Cool Whip Lite
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups pistachios, chopped
- Prepare a batch of chocolate wafers or buy enough of them to end up with at least 26 cookies.
- Put the shredded coconut into a blender and blend until it’s tiny flecks of coconut.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the Neufchatel, powdered sugar, blended coconut, and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Add in the cool whip and beat until just combined. This is the “ice cream.”
- I used Oxo’s medium size cookie scoop to measure roughly 1 and 1/2 tablespoons into the middle of the flat side of a chocolate wafer. (Using other measuring spoons or eyeballing it is okay too.)
- Place a second cookie on top of the “ice cream” and gently press down until the it spreads out and gets to the edge of the cookies.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer until the middle is firm.
- Roughly chop the pistachios and put them in a place where they are easy to use for the next few steps.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips. (I used a double boiler on the stove because it helps to keep the chocolate warm and melty during this process.)
- Take a spoon and drizzle the melted chocolate over half of the ice cream sandwich.
- As you finish covering half of each sandwich with chocolate, place them onto a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Immediately sprinkle the chopped pistachios onto the top side of the melted chocolate.
- Place the tray of ice cream sandwiches back in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened and serve immediately out of the freezer.
Chocolate Wafer source: Joy of Baking
Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches Dipped in Chocolate and Pistachios Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
You do not need an ice cream maker to make this “ice cream”! Who loves me?
When you prep the coconut, you really want to get those shreds as fine as you can get them. This will make the ice cream smoother than if you simply left the coconut in its store-bought shredded form. I used a blender and pulsed it until I got the consistency I wanted.
The coconut mixture will be very soft, like a mousse. Once it’s chilled out in the freezer, it magically turns into something a bit like soft serve ice cream. How cool is that?
Ice cream sandwiches are fun to make. Have you ever made some? It’s a wonderful kitchen project to get the kids involved with. Yup, it’s that easy. Scoop and squish (gently).
I used a spoon to help get all that melty chocolate on half of the ice cream sandwich. I could have covered the whole thing but that would have gone a little overboard. 😉
Make sure the ice cream has firmed up before adding the warm chocolate otherwise it will be a complete mess. Also, if you want a completely covered sandwich feel free to coat them entirely with chocolate. After all, it’s chocolate.
Oh yea. Seriously, aren’t ice cream sandwiches the best summer time dessert?
The chocolate cookies stay nice and crisp. My husband literally won’t eat store bought ice cream sandwiches because he hates how the cookie turns into what he calls chocolate snot and gets all over his fingers. These won’t do that at all so he finally got to enjoy ice cream sandwiches that didn’t frustrate him. However, if you hold these bad boys on the chocolate end the chocolate might melt on your fingers. Solution? Eat them fast. Hey, I never claimed that these were mess-free. 😉
The coconut ice cream is a subtle flavor in these sandwiches, but it works awesomely well with the chocolate and pistachios to create an almost island flair. I think pistachios are not used nearly enough. I love them and they are apparently even healthy!
I’m sorry that these have such a long name. My husband strongly encouraged me to change it because he felt it was too long, but I couldn’t think of anything shorter that accurately conveyed what these fun treats are all about. I’m pretty sure I won’t get any complaints about the title. His suggestion was simply “Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches” but he prefers brevity.
What’s your favorite summer time treat?
Here are some other yummy summer time treats.
Peanut Butter and Raspberry Mousse Shots
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches
I have to say I agree with your husband…those store bought sandwiches obnoxiously stick to your fingers. These sandwiches look amazing! I love that you dipped them in chocolate and pistachios.
Woah that looks amazing! Love the coconut + pistachio flavors here, such a great combination! Your photos are beautiful too–they’re making me hungry right now! 🙂
I appreciate your sweet compliments. 🙂
I’ve never seen this type if “ice cream” process before… it’s very creative and a must try!! The ice cream sandwiches look adorable… love the pistachios too!
Love this, Tina! I’m a big fan of pistachios, and that coconut “ice cream” is so cool! Plus they’re chocolate-dipped, too. Yum!
So glad you love. 🙂
These are adorable and look so delicious, Tina! That coconut “ice cream” sounds out of this world. 🙂
Thanks so much Marcie!
These look so crazy good!!! Love that they’re dipped in pistachios!
Thanks so much! 🙂
I have been dreaming about coconut lately – seriously! And, now I know why. I need to make these – they look amazing!
I thought I was the only one who dreamed about food! 😉
Tina, they look like so much fun to make, and even more fun to eat!
Indeed, they are. 🙂
I love it when one idea leads to another and you end up so far from where you started but still with something completely delicious! Case in point.
Right on! 🙂
These look simply devine! I’m having a big old garden party next month and wanted to serve ice cream sammies – I think this will more than suffice!!
Awesome! How fun to be hosting a garden party! 🙂
they look yummy!
haha chocolate snot. That’s hysterical! These sandwiches sure do look awesome! Coconut, pistachios and chocolate all in one?? So fun for summer!
My husband has a way with words. 😉
So adorable Tina! I’ve been thinking of how I could use those chocolate wafers of yours…these ice cream sandwiches seem like a great place to start!
I think chocolate wafers are super versatile, kinda like graham crackers. 🙂
Tina, these are pretty much a masterpiece. There are so many delicious elements here that I wouldn’t really know what to rave about first! I think I’ll just leave it at saying that they look and sound absolutely amazing and I want one (or three) now whether I get chocolaty fingers or not! Absolutely pinning.
Masterpiece?! I’ll take it! Thank you. 🙂
These ice cream sandwiches look so beautiful! And they sound so delicious. Love that they’re dipped in pistachios and chocolate, such a nice touch!
Thanks so much!
love these ice cream sandwiches! really beautiful!
Tina, these are G to the ORGEOUS! Especially the chocolate + pistachio bits. I mean, can these even get better? Can’t wait to try these!
G to the orgeous… love that! Thanks. 🙂
Love these Tina! I want now. 🙂
Who loves you…. Meeeee….. Far out lady, these are out of control GOOD! #getinmybelly These look absolutely amazing Tina, ice-cream sambas, what a brilliant creation. Nice work lovely one.
You rock! 🙂
These are so cute! I love your flavor combination, I love anything with coconut and chocolate!
Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by. 🙂
So yummy Tina! And fun too. 🙂
Pinned to our coconut board.
Have a great day!
Coconut board! How fun! Thanks so much. 🙂
These remind me of ice cream Oreos… GORGEOUS!
Totally! Thanks so much! I appreciate you stopping by. 🙂
Summer just isn’t complete without a couple of ice cream sandwiches, is it?
Totally agree! 🙂