Every day of your life you see a cow… or that’s how the theory goes. Do you buy that?
Someone somewhere along the way made a claim that you will see a cow every day, whether it be in person, on TV, a photo, a logo, or any other format possible. If you Google this topic you’ll see what I’m talking about. I’ve tried to test this theory but I never seem to remember to keep track of it. I can see how it might be true since if you drink milk every day, then you probably see the carton and most of those have a pictures of cows on them.
What do cows have to do with these fun cereal bars? Nothing really, but my train of thought went from cereal bars to cereal and milk to cows on milk cartons and that is how we ended up here.
I made these bars with rice cereal so they are totally gluten-free. How cool is that? They may be missing gluten but they are not skipping a beat in flavor. They remind me of a thick and crunchy peanut butter granola bar (minus the granola) topped with chocolate and peanut butter on top.
In case you are preoccupied with drooling over these gorgeous creations, let me sum up what we have here. A chocolate and peanut butter combo, gluten-free, no bake, and every day ingredient recipe. You can’t beat that! Oh and since these bars have cereal in them it’s totally acceptable to eat them for breakfast. 😉
Have you seen a cow today?
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cereal Bars Recipe
(Makes about 16 bars)
Ingredients for the Bars:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Chex
Ingredients for the Topping:
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Directions for the Bars:
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Grease it and set it aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter, light corn syrup, white sugar, and light brown sugar.
- Heat it in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and heat in the microwave for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the Rice Chex while the wet ingredients are still hot. (Carefully!)
- Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly into the prepared pan and press it down firmly. (I used a dry measuring cup to help press it down.) Note, that the more you pack down the cereal layer, the harder they will be.
- Set it aside.
Directions for the Topping:
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and shortening. (I used the double boiler method, but feel free to melt them in the microwave if you like.)
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the cereal layer.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter for 30 seconds. Stir it. It should smooth and liquidy enough to drizzle over the chocolate layer.
- Drizzle the peanut butter over the chocolate layer, in 5 evenly spaced stripes.
- Rotate the pan 90 degrees. Take a tooth pick and drag it through the peanut butter lines, creating a marble affect.
- Place the baking pan in the refrigerator and chill the bars until they are firm.
Slightly adapted: Averie Cooks
Here are some other bangin’ bar cookie recipes.