Did you watch the playoffs yesterday? Both games were awesome (seriously, they won it in overtime!?), but especially the one where the Patriots won because my husband and I are fans!
I won’t bore you with football talk. You may not be into it. Quite frankly, as much as I love watching it, I’m not entirely familiar with all the game lingo so I won’t be trying to impress you. 😉 Right now, I’d actually rather talk about soup… a topic I’m WAY more familiar with.
The tortellini totally makes this soup. How could it not? Hello, it’s tortellini. I think it’s so cute, not to mention tasty. It’s a fast way to make any soup hearty and wonderful.
You know what else makes this soup awesome? The Chorizo sausage. It really gives the soup lots of good flavor. I don’t know why, but I tend to think of sausage as a manly food. So I’m definitely thinking that this is awesome football food. Don’t get me wrong, I love the typical chips and dip get-up, but I still want a proper meal too.
I know the first word in the title of this post is “sausage” so I’m sure I haven’t captured the attention of many vegetarians with this one. However I do want to mention that I’ve already thought about how easy it is to turn this soup into a vegetarian one, for when I’m in my “don’t eat no meat” mood. Simply omit the sausage and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Boom, tortellini and spinach soup, a vegetarian delight.
Go Pats!!! We’re going to the Super Bowl! (Now we just have to win it.)
Sausage And Tortellini Soup Recipe
(About 4 to 6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Chorizo (or hot Italian sausage if you want)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 3 ounces chopped spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, over Medium heat, heat the oil.
- Cook the sausage, rolling occasionally, until browned all over. (About 10 minutes.)
- Transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Cook the chopped onion in the sausage fat until softened. (About 5 minutes.)
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bay leaf, scraping up any browned bits, and bring it to a boil.
- Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch rounds and then add it to the pot.
- Stir in the tortellini and simmer over Medium heat until the pasta is tender. (About 6 minutes.)
- Stir in the chopped spinach and cook until wilted. (About 1 minute.)
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Here are some other cozy soups.