Guys, meet praline pecan crunch snack mix, otherwise known as party crack.
One of my sisters went to a party recently and she was served this snack mix. She told me that everyone loved it and couldn’t stop eating it. She said that I definitely had to make it and share it on my blog. I just love how she was thinking of me… warm fuzzy. 🙂 How could I resist making it after hearing this awesome review? I couldn’t, so I did.
Now here’s the hard part about this recipe. Are you ready? You have to stir the mixture every 15 minutes while it’s in the oven. I know, hard stuff. 😉 Seriously, this is so easy to make. (But also seriously, don’t burn yourself when you’re stirring it.)
Sometimes I love taking before and after pics. So this is the before…
Let it cool and then break that shiz up. To quote my husband, “Don’t break it up too small because the bigger pieces are more fun to eat.” Can you see the little caramel pockets?
This is like some caramel popcorn meets a cereal mix. You got a little sweet and a little savory going on here.
My sister’s friend calls this “party crack” and now I know why. We couldn’t keep our hands off this stuff! Guilty much? My husband says that it’s full of protein from the pecans and that the cereal squares are sort of like oatmeal. Did your mind go where mine went for about 5 seconds? Nope, that does not mean this is healthy. Like at all. It sure is tasty and if you’re serving it at a party then the calories don’t count anyway. 😉
Praline Pecan Crunch Snack Mix Recipe
(Makes about 10 cups)
- 8 cups of oatmeal squares cereal (I used the entire 14.5 ounce box of Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal.)
- 2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Add the oatmeal squares and chopped pecans into the prepared baking pan and mix well.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter.
- Microwave the sugar mixture for 1 minute 30 seconds and then stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir the vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt into sugar mixture.
- Pour the sugar mixture over cereal mixture and stir to coat everything evenly. (Carefully, and while everything is still very hot.)
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a baking sheet, spreading the mixture in an even layer.
- Let it cool completely and then break it into pieces.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Here are some other fab snack mixes.