Paloma… Isn’t that a fun word to say? Or maybe it’s just me.
I’m not a big drinker and by that I mean I average one drink a week, if that. When I do have the occasional drink, it’s usually a gin and tonic. Being my favorite, it made sense that it was the first cocktail recipe that I shared with you back in September 2014. It took me 1 and 1/2 years to post anything having to do with alcohol and I’m not exactly sure why it took me that long.
Today’s cocktail marks my 7th recipe so it would appear that I’m on a roll now. I find myself seeking out new drinks to try and when I find a really, really good one, I of course have to share it with you. 🙂 In fact, my husband informed me that I should create a cocktail section in my recipe index. He’s got a good point and helped me do that before I posted this. (So if you already see it, you’re not going nuts.)
Paaa-low-maaaa. I like saying it slow because it’s more fun. 😉 (No, I’m not drunk while I’m writing this.) I’d never heard of this drink until I stumbled across it online the other day. I like grapefruit and I like tequila (the good stuff) so this drink seemed like a winner.
Yup, I was right. It’s super refreshing and tasty. It’s basically a flavored margarita with a little bubble action going on. Speaking of the bubbly, please make sure you use club soda (or plain seltzer) and not tonic water because they are very different liquids… very, very different. If you use the wrong one then the drink you end up with will be a bit strange, and possibly gross.
Don’t skip out on the sugar. It’s only 1 teaspoon and it’s very much needed to help counteract the sourness from the lime and grapefruit juices.
I enjoyed this beaut over the weekend after a hectic day of errands. There’s something to be said about relaxing with a cocktail in your hand, especially after being so productive. Except, I got a little tipsy. That’s only a bad thing because I still had some things I wanted to do and that put a halt on doing anything after 4pm. I’m a cheap date… one drink and I’m all set. 😉
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (equivalent to about 1 grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (equivalent to about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup tequila (equivalent to a cheap date)
- course salt, for the rim of the glass (kosher salt works well too)
- 1/4 cup club soda
- Add the grapefruit juice, lime juice and sugar together. I used a measuring cup because it’s easier to pour the drink into your glass. Also, I strained the juice to remove any bits of fruit, but it’s not required.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Stir in the tequila.
- Place the salt in a shallow dish.
- Place a little bit of water (or lime juice if you have any extra) in a shallow dish.
- Moisten the rim of a glass by dipping it in the water dish and then slide it around in the salt dish. (Good luck avoiding the fingernails on chalkboard sound here.)
- Pour the mixed drink into the glass.
- Pour the club soda into the glass.
- Carefully add ice to the glass.
Here are some other fun cocktails.