What better way to say thank you to someone than with cookies and coffee?
The other day I mentioned to you that my best friend and her family were coming up for a visit and that my parents were also coming over at some point to help build some shelves for my shoe closet. Well, things didn’t go exactly as I had planned. (I can hear my husband say that that’s why I shouldn’t plan so much.)
My friend’s daughter came down with the flu so we postponed their visit. Now I’ve got a lot of leftover Fudgy Brownies. I know, that’s a real problem. 😉 Thank goodness they freeze well! If I didn’t do that then my husband and I would be stuffing our faces with them. Our waistlines thank me.
This opened up our weekend a bit so my husband decided that we should start working on my shoe closet even without my dad around to help. The planner in me was hesitant to start earlier than we had planned, which is of course crazy because I want my shoe closet done as soon as possible. I bought three white 5-shelf bookcases to put in the closet as the new home for my shoes. It came out awesome! I’ll try to remember to take some pics this weekend to share with you.
My parents still came over on Monday and they helped us with some other minor chores around the house instead, which brings me back to the real topic at hand today… cookies. My dad loves coffee and cookies, pastries, cake, bread… okay, anything that tastes awesome with a cup of joe. I whipped up these delicious cookies as a bribe… I mean a thank you to my dad for his help.
These cookies are like a soft pillowy version of a sugar cookie. I coated them with a simple sugar glaze. It’s not strictly required, but why not? If a little sugar is good, then a lot of sugar is fantastic. These adorable little things are a two bite party for me. For my dad and my husband it’s a one bite deal. They work very well for dunking in coffee, but watch your fingers. These are tiny and adorable and coffee is hot.
I’m so lucky to have amazing men in my life. I love my dad and my husband more than words can express… so I’ll let the cookies do the talking. 😉
Vanilla Butter Cookies Recipe
(Makes about 50 cookies)
Ingredients for the Cookies:
- 1 cup butter, softened (equivalent to 2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 13.5 ounces)
Ingredients for the Icing:
- 1 and 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions for the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until it’s fluffy. (About 2-3 minutes.)
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add in the flour.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. The small cookie scoop is equivalent to about 2 teaspoons of cookie dough and I comfortably fit 12 on my cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 13 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely before icing them.
Directions for the Icing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and water until it forms a thick icing.
- Dip the top of the cooled cookies into the icing.
Adapted from: Salty Tomatoes
Here are some other fun goodies to go with your coffee.