I’m feeling lazy, very lazy. We all have those kind of days, right? Please don’t leave me hanging.
During the winter months I have a lot of lazy days and I blame the cold weather. I tend to think that I’ll have more motivation and energy when the warmer months come rolling around. That’s sort of true, except I still have my lazy moments. For example, this past week I’ve been eating cereal for dinner. Don’t judge me. I know there are plenty of you out there who do the same. Show of hands? Anyone?
This meal is THE perfect thing to whip up when you’re feeling lazy and I promise you it tastes WAY better than boring cereal. (By the way, I’m still into Grape-nuts cereal, if you’re curious.) This is basically a burrito in a bowl. I’m embarrassed to say that I actually needed my husband to explain this one to me because, well, let’s just say that I had a moment of being a bit dense. He explained that this means that you skip all that time rolling tortillas and you throw all of the ingredients that would have gone in a burrito into a bowl instead. Aaaand there’s my “ah ha” moment. Or course that makes sense but I figure I’d spell it out for you in case you were having a moment too. 😉
In other words, this is simply rice and beans. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been making rice and beans for years. I’ve used all sorts of beans with every imaginable different sauce and veggies of every possible variety. Heck, this takes me back to my law school days because 95% of my dinners were some version of rice and beans.
This rice and beans dish is clearly of the Mexican persuasion. Have fun with the toppings! Use whatever you would normally add on top (or inside) your burrito.
I really love the simplicity of this dish and you can go crazy with the fixings or not. However, I highly recommend adding a lot of great toppings to your beans and rice because I think it helps take an otherwise boring dish of beans and rice and turns it into something truly awesome and delicious.
TGIF! What are you guys up to this weekend? Perhaps you’ll have a lazy weekend? Or a super busy one (as the kid’s schools wind down). I’ve got a little time planned with the family and I can’t wait. 🙂
Black Bean Burrito Bowl Recipe
(About 4 servings)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cans (15.5 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- toppings of your choice: I used salsa, avocado, cheese, Greek yogurt, and a squeeze of lime juice from a lime wedge.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the box and then set it aside.
- In a medium skillet, over Low/Medium heat, add the black beans and water.
- Stir in the cumin and garlic powder.
- Bring it to a simmer for a minute or two, or until the beans have heated through.
- Remove the beans from the heat.
- To construct the burrito bowl, place a serving of cooked rice at the bottom of a serving bowl.
- Add some black beans on top of the rice.
- Top it with the toppings of your choice.
Adapted from: Simply Recipes
Here are some other magnificent Mexican dishes.