Tomorrow marks five months to Christmas. Crazy talk, right?
I watched a week of Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel (their Christmas in July celebration). The stores are bringing out their Fall collections and the fashion bloggers are already showing off their Fall fashion trends. So I guess you could say that all that has put me in the mood for baking cookies, my typical Christmastime activity.
Plus, I had to make cookies for my annual family trip to Lake George, NY. It’s tradition so if I didn’t show up with something I might have had a riot on my hands. 😉 My husband baked a batch of jumbo size chocolate chip cookies… which I forgot at home. I baked a couple of batches of these chocolate cookies. Thank goodness I didn’t forget them.
He says I did it on purpose because these cookies wouldn’t have been able to stand up to the competition of his. Obviously he was kidding. The real reason they got left behind was because I was digging through the freezer looking for all the things to bring and honestly mistook them for bagels which were not coming on the trip with us. Yes, he really does make cookies that are that freakin’ big.
These cookies are the chocolate-y-ist ones I’ve ever made. On top of that, these might even be my favorite chocolate cookies. They are a good old fashioned chewy chocolate cookie with chocolate chips. How can you go wrong with that? You can’t.
My sister even ate the crumbs that were left at the bottom of the bag they were in with a spoon. (I’m not telling you which sister though.) If that’s not proof that these things are a chocolate overload, then I don’t know what is. Needless to say these cookies just made it into my Christmas cookie rotation.
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
(Make about 36 cookies)
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 11.4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cup butter, softened (equivalent to 2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay parchment paper or a silicon mat on top of a cookie sheet. There is no need to grease it.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a big bowl, cream the butter, white sugar, dark brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate morsels.
- Drop about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie onto the prepared cookie sheet. I used Oxo Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop to help consistently scoop out the same amount of dough per cookie.
- Bake them for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and the centers are set but still soft.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Slightly adapted from: Very Best Baking
Here are some other cool chocolate cookies.
Omg all this Christmas talk is making me crazy excited 🙂 Can’t have enough cookie recipes for the holiday season 🙂
I was at the mall the other day and couldn’t believe all the fall clothes! Well, it’s not like it’s a surprise but it’s so hot here I can’t even think about it!
These cookies look fantastic!
No, you’re right… the mall is always a season ahead. I still roll my eyes when I see it though. 😉
Those look like my kind of cookies! So chocolaty and rich 🙂
Oh yeah! 🙂