Good friends share good things with you.
I’ve never made zucchini bread before. In hindsight that sounds crazy because it seems like an obvious quick bread to turn to this time of the year (or when zucchini is in season). I turned to the trusty interwebs to look for a recipe and I couldn’t find one that I liked.
I mentioned this zucchini bread dilemma to my friend from kickboxing class and she recommended a recipe. Yup, I take kickboxing class… hiyah. I might have mentioned it a couple of times here on TCC. When I started the class I wasn’t sure if I’d like kickboxing or even like taking a class (since it was my first on both accounts). I remember feeling like I was in kindergarten, like I was a lost and had no friends. (That sounds more sad than it really was.) Three years later and I still love kickboxing and I’ve made some great friends.
Boy I wish I had the “zucchini bread conversation” with my friend three years ago because this is now one of my favorite quick breads. I’ve been missing out! Isn’t a trusty friend almost always a better source than the interwebs?
I think the secret to this recipe being so awesome is the cinnamon. Seriously, isn’t cinnamon awesome? 🙂 It makes this bread SO tasty.
You don’t taste the zucchini in this bread (if you were wondering). In fact, aside from seeing little green flecks, you really don’t notice it’s in this bread. Maybe it’s because I used a small size grater to grate the zucchini. Awh, tricky tricky.
Who’s up for getting their daily dose of veggies? It’s common knowledge that if a dish has veggies in it then it’s automatically healthy. 😉
Zucchini Bread Recipe
(Makes 1 loaf)
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 6.4 ounces)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded
- (Optional) 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini. Note if your zucchini is too moist, then lay the shredded zucchini in between paper towels and gently press down to remove some of the water.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- (Optional) Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top of the batter.
- Bake the loaf for about 50 minutes or until a pick inserted comes out clean.
Slightly adapted from: An article clipping from a friend. The actual source of the clipping is unknown.
Here are some other awesome quick bread recipes.