For the record, my husband says that this is not a pie because it doesn’t have a crust. Pies must have a crust.
This is sort of like a quiche. However, quiches are mostly made of eggs and this “pie” only has two eggs in it. I’ve made a variety of quiches and this one is lighter than any others.
Call this whatever you like. I’ve been calling it “the zucchini thing.” It’s a technical term. Hey, whatever works, right? My husband knows what I’m talking about and he doesn’t get to complain about me calling it a pie.
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying this zucchini thing all week for lunch with a small side salad. It’s SO good and I don’t feel one ounce of guilt because it’s reasonably low in calories. If you’re looking for a great way to get more veggies in, then this is it. It’s mostly made up vegetables but you wouldn’t know it. Trickery. 😉
Crustless Zucchini Pie Recipe
(About 4 o 8 servings)
- 1 to 2 zucchini, shredded (equivalent to 10 ounces)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup flour (I used all-purposed flour.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk (I used 1%.)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie pan and set it aside. I used an Emile Henry ceramic pie dish.
- Lay the grated zucchini in between paper towels and gently press down to remove as much water as possible.
- In a big bowl, add the shredded zucchini, finely chopped shallot, chopped chives, and shredded mozzarella cheese, and mix everything together. Set this bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour and baking powder and mix it together. These are the dry ingredients… at least for the moment.
- Add into the bowl of dry ingredients, the milk, oil, eggs, salt and pepper and mix everything together until all the lumps of flour are gone. I found a whisk helpful for the mixing.
- Add the flour mixture into the big bowl (of zucchini mixture) and stir everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie pan.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean. (Mine took 30 minutes in my oven.)
- Let it stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.
Adapted from: Skinnytaste
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.