Chocolate… banana… crumb… cake… Can you handle it?
The holiday season is the perfect time to indulge… in everything, but especially at breakfast time. My mom used to make a wonderful breakfast spread for Christmas morning so maybe that’s why I feel this way. Or maybe because I’ll find any excuse to eat sugar or chocolate first thing in the morning. If Christmas isn’t a good excuse then I don’t know what is. How about some cinnamon rolls or sticky buns or the perfect crumb cake or THIS chocolate banana crumb cake?
O…M…G… if you like chocolate or banana bread or crumb cake or all of the above then you will go berserk over this treat. Seriously, I don’t know if I’m more excited about opening up Christmas presents or having another piece of this uh-mazing cake. You don’t have to take my word for it. Just look at that melty gooey chocolate. Yup, that says it all. 😉
See what I mean? Put down the wrapping paper and see if you have some overripe bananas that you need to use up. If you don’t have any… well, I can’t be held responsible for that. No worries, you’ll only need to wait a few days to make this bad boy.
I just finished wrapping up our gifts. FYI, even big square boxes are a pain to wrap. How can that be? Such a simple shape, still a pain the the tookus. #ihatewrapping
Chocolate Banana Crumb Cake Recipe
(About 9 servings)
Ingredients for the Streusel Topping:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature (equivalent to 1/2 stick)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature (equivalent to 1 stick)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed bananas (equivalent to 3 to 4 overripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions for the Streusel Topping:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the light brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Set it aside.
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 8 x 8 inch baking pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, and sour cream. Set the wet ingredients aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Distribute the streusel evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan prior to serving.
Slightly adapted from: Ina Garten via the kitchn
Here are some other bangin’ breakfast treats.
Delicious! Love the crumb and that gooey chocolate 🙂
Mmm, me too! 🙂