Guys, I’m so glad that this week is over. This week I had a root canal. Surprisingly, it wasn’t actually as bad as I thought it would be. The bad part was that my dentist began the procedure last week but he couldn’t reach all of my roots so he had to sent me to an endodontist. The pain was way, way worse last week. Apparently I have curved roots which makes them difficult to get at but thankfully the endodontist was able to get at them and the root canal procedure was a success. I’m not done yet though. If you’ve ever had a root canal then you know that it is like a month or two process. Hopefully the worst is over.
As if a root canal isn’t fun enough, I caught a cold this week. Have you ever gotten dental work done while you are congested? I don’t recommend it (for obvious reasons). Thankfully I’m starting to feel better.
I hope I haven’t bored you with my “week in review.” Feel free to comment below and let me know why you’re glad this week is over too. 🙂 Anyway, let’s get down to the heart of the post. Food. More specifically, muffins. Who doesn’t love a muffin? Lemon flavored muffins are an even better idea than normal because summer officially begins in a few days. You know, because anything with lemons screams summa-time.
These lemon poppy seed muffins are full of lemony goodness thanks to the lemon zest and juice. Use the real deal fresh lemons. It makes a world of a difference with the flavor. Skip the lemon extract. It never did anything good for me and it essentially ruined a recipe my husband made once (that you obviously never saw here).
Muffins are always a good idea. Whip some up for your dad for Father’s Day this weekend. Or bake some up because you just had dental work done and you need to eat soft foods. 😉
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
(Makes 12 regular sized muffins)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- grated zest of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- lemon juice of 1 lemon (use leftover lemons for tasty tea)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 8.4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter (equivalent to 1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan or if you are using paper cups place them into the pan and grease them anyway. (It makes the paper cups way easier to peal off when you eat the muffins.)
- Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt it. Once it’s melted let it cool.
- In a large bowl, mash together the sugar and lemon zest. I used a spatula.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk everything together. Set aside the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and melted butter. Make sure the melted butter is not hot because you don’t want it to make scrambled eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix everything together, until just combined.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 12 prepared muffin cups and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pans for a few minutes and then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Two Peas and Their Pod
Here are some other lovely lemon treats.