I’m on a mission to make every flavor of crumb cake possible.
If you search “crumb cake” on my blog then you’ll see that I’ve made a few. I can’t help it. I just love crumb cakes.
This crumb cake combines two of my favorite recipes, the cake part from the banana cake recipe and the crumb topping from the coffee crumb cake recipe. The end result is a moist banana cake topped with buttery crumb topping. Be still my heart. This combo is as wonderful as I had imagined it to be. I love it when that happens (because it’s not always the case).
Look at all that banana goodness. This cake is worth buying extra bananas and letting them get overripe on purpose. Whether that’s to make the original banana cake with frosting or this crumb cake or both. 😉
One of the reasons why I love crumb cakes (besides the fact that they taste freaking amazing) is that you can cover them with powdered sugar, drizzle icing on top, or leave it as is. My husband never understands why I need to add more sugar on top of sugar (aka the sugary crumb topping). It’s not a matter of need, but more a matter of deliciousness. 😉 I was super conservative with the powdered sugar on these because I want you to be able to see the gorgeous crumb texture, but you better believe I added piles of extra powdered sugar on my piece when I was done taking pictures. My precious.
Banana Crumb Cake Recipe
Ingredients for the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup butter (equivalent to 1 stick), melted
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 7.5 ounces)
- 2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed (I’ve used both. The one pictured today used dark brown.)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (equivalent to about 2 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (equivalent to 4.2 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions for the Crumb Topping:
- Melt the butter and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, and melted butter until it’s crumbly. Set it aside.
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and set it aside. (I lay down parchment paper in order to remove it from the pan to take photos but that is not required.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, sour cream, egg, and butter.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake batter. Squish it together into lumps as you go. Your goal is a mix of small and big crumbs for variety. Then very gently press the crumb topping into the batter to eliminate air pockets so the crumbs will stick later.
- Bake it for about 30 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
- If you are using powdered sugar or some other frosting this is where you would apply it. (Make sure the cake has cooled completely!)
Banana Crumb Cake Source: Tina’s Chic Corner