I love avocados…
Brown rice is pretty boring. Maybe that goes for rice in general, but I think that the brown persuasion is especially bland. So I decided to add some of my favorite ingredients to it, and boom, now I’ve got something exciting and delicious. Well, my husband says it’s not that exciting. To each is own. 😉
I think that I could throw avocados in just about anything and it would make whatever I’m eating 100 times better. Although I have not tried avocados in desserts yet. (Sorry Tom.) Something about that just seems wrong to me. I shouldn’t knock it if I haven’t it tried it. But still.
I love, love, love sweet potatoes, especially sweet potato fries. When we’re out to eat, I like to order them instead of regular potato fries. I “oh and ah” and make my husband try them but he’s not nearly as crazy about them as I am. Sorry, does not compute.
Mmm, feta cheese. I’m half Greek so that explains that. 😉 I also think that if you’re familiar with my blog this doesn’t come as a shock to you because I use feta cheese in a lot of my recipes. Mmm, cheese.
Magically, some of my favorite things have come together to make one delicious dish. What’s your latest food obsession?
Brown Rice With Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Recipe
(Makes 2 to 4 servings)
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for the Meal:
- 1 sweet potato
- 3/4 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 2 to 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions for the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Directions for the Meal:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set it aside.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. (Or as close as you can get.)
- Toss the sweet potato pieces in the oil.
- Season them with dill, salt, and pepper and toss them again.
- Lay them on the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer.
- Bake the sweet potato pieces in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the pieces are tender when you stick a fork in them. (After they are done cooking I cooked them on broil for about 3 extra minutes to get them a little crispy on the edges. The broil step is purely optional depending on what you prefer.)
- Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the package and then set it aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the baked sweet potato pieces, cooked brown rice, chopped avocado, sliced cucumber, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle the dressing on top.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner