Cookies are always a good idea. If you read my blog you’ve probably heard me say that before.
Last Sunday, I celebrated Greek Orthodox Easter. There was SO much food and it was all so delicious. Easter is my favorite holiday when it comes to food. My mom makes traditional Greek dishes like pastitsio, spanakopita, lamb, potatoes, and tzatziki. I’ve been known to make a pretty mean pastitsio and spanakopita, too. 😉
Tsoureki (Easter bread) and koulourakia (Easter cookies) are two of my favorite things of all time. All time. I’m rationing out the last few kouralakia that my mom gave me to try to make them last a little longer. I haven’t tried to make the Easter bread or cookies myself yet but it’s on my list to do one day. For this Easter, I contributed with what I know best… chocolate chip cookies, or should I say M&M cookies.
My husband perfected his version of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe, at least we think so. It’s chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. It’s thick, but not too thick, and it’s not a flat greasy puck. Now we have a great base cookie recipe to use for anything, like fun Spring colored M&Ms.
According to my husband, there is only one way to make chocolate chip cookies, large and in charge. I don’t disagree that large cookies are uh-mazing, but normal sized cookies and miniature sized ones are pretty cool too.
I made these cookies for my nieces and nephews last weekend. I thought that a mini-sized cookies would be ideal for their little hands. Of course if you’re an adult, then you must eat at least four of these at one time. 😉
You should not limit yourself to making these for just Easter time. Use any color M&M candies, like the usual kind or another holiday color theme that they put out when they are seasonally appropriate. Heck, use good old fashioned chocolate chips. You can use the normal size chocolate chips for uber chocolate or switch them for the miniature chocolate chips to stick with the mini theme going on today.
Mini M&M Cookies Recipe
(Makes about 65 cookies)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 12.6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (equivalent to 1 and 1/2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups M&M candies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the M&M candies.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Using a small Oxo cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the mat/parchment paper. I comfortably fit 12 to a pan.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges.
- Let them rest for about 3 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Adapted from: Nestle Toll House