I’m sharing a Margherita tortilla pizza recipe with you today. Yup, I said tortilla.
Pizza. Where do I start? It’s one of my favorite foods of all time and I’m sure that I’ve said that a number of times. My husband makes a killer homemade pizza. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the time (or patience) to go the real deal route. That means that I’m always looking for ways to make a “pizza wannabe.”
I’ve made Naan pizza (which we eat all the time) and English muffin pizza (which honestly gives me flashbacks to college). Then I found the recipe for tortilla pizzas. Tortillas?! That’s brilliant! It’s a great lower carb option if that’s what you’re into (which I am).
These are super easy to make and you don’t have to wait a few hours for that homemade pizza dough to rise. Even if you were using store bought dough these are still easier because you don’t need to take the time to spread it out (which can be frustrating because it’s like an annoying lump of delicious rubber). You simply need to grab that tortilla and get to building that pizza. By the way, this might be me trying to convince myself that tortillas are better than a bread crust. 😉 Nope, not better, just easier and quicker.
I didn’t give a lot of exact measurements for the ingredients because it’s pizza. Do your thing. If you like a lot of cheese then load it up. I love the Margherita kind, especially in the summer time, but you could turn this into a traditional pepperoni pizza or whatever kind of pizza you like.
I found the 8 inch tortilla to be a good personal size pizza. I added a salad to go along with it because the tortilla pizza alone is not as filling as I’d like it to be. I know that I’ll be making this a ton more times because it means that I can have my pizza and eat it too (and stay on track with eating healthy).
Margherita Tortilla Pizza Recipe
(makes 1 personal size pizza, but make as many as you want)
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1 to 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, depending on preference and tortilla size
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- tomatoes, sliced
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay the tortilla on a cookie sheet.
- Spread the mayo onto the top of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top of the mayo.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle some salt on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Sprinkle some sliced fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is done to your liking and the tortilla is slightly browned on the edges.
- Sprinkle some additional fresh basil leaves on top, grated Parmesan cheese, and pepper.
Source: Bev Cooks