Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Sorry, I had to go there.
This chicken and rice dish is very easy and quick to put together. All you need to do is chop up a few veggies, throw everything into a baking dish, and pop it in the oven. I love one pan recipes because it means that I don’t have to wash a lot of dishes. It’s the little victories.
Not only is this an easy one pan wonder, it tastes really good. The chicken and veggies are full of fajita flavors. Think of traditional chicken fajitas, but instead of tortillas there’s rice and slightly less exciting when you bring it to the table. You’re trading a carb for a carb which I think is a nice twist. You can still add your favorite toppings on top of the chicken, rice, and veggies, which I recommend because it can only make it more yummy.
I also love that the leftovers make for great lunches for the week, which is exactly what we did. I’m a little picky with leftovers especially if the texture changes (because it’s seldom for the better) when you reheat something. But this meal reheats beautifully. And it’s healthy so I don’t feel guilty eating it multiple days in a row.
I’m running out of reasons why you need to try this meal. Have I convinced you? 😉
Fajita Chicken Bake Recipe
(Makes 6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 of an onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 and 1/2 pound chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- (optional) toppings that you would like on your fajitas (I topped this with sour cream, shredded cheese, and olives.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set the spices aside.
- In a big bowl, add the sliced onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and chicken tenders.
- Add the spices and oil to the bowl of veggies and chicken and mix everything together. Set this aside.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, add the rice and chicken broth.
- Lay the seasoned chicken and vegetables on top of the rice.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake it for about 60 minutes or until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
- (Optional) Top each servings with the toppings of your choice.
Slightly adapted from: tasty