Dave’s Bread Corner has added a whole new category for sourdough baked goods and to go with that he is explaining how sourdough works, but just once. This will be the only place these tips are covered because, as you will see below, the rest of the internet annoyed him. So without further ado, I leave you in his capable hands.
I made this post because I was frustrated with the fact that finding a sourdough recipe on the internet is near impossible. Almost every recipe out there includes a ton of information about making your own sourdough starter, maintaining your starter, complex names for things, descriptions of bakers percents, and almost anything else you can think of that is sourdough adjacent, but is not a recipe. Thus, the useful instructions for sourdough related things are here and recipes will mostly just be recipes.
This is the collected list of non-recipe articles I’ve written related to sourdough. If you need information that isn’t how to make a specific recipe, then you are in the right place.
NOTICE: These posts will not be done all at once because there is a lot of information to capture. Sorry if the one you want isn’t available yet, but don’t worry, they are coming soon.
- Sourdough Equipment – Making sourdough bread is a lot like making any other kind of bread, but to make it both effectively and easily, having the right equipment is important.
- Baker’s Percentages – This is a quick lesson on the utterly simple math behind baker’s percentages. It will remove the fear of numbers you don’t understand by showing you that they are both easy to understand and not at all scary.
- What Sourdough Is – A quick explanation of what exactly sourdough actually is. Hint, loads of little lifeforms living in flour and water.
- Where Sourdough Lives – Part of keeping your sourdough alive and happy is about the home you provide for it.
- Starting Your Sourdough Starter – This is how to make your sourdough starter, but not from scratch because I have never tried to do that.
- Maintaining Your Sourdough Starter – Maintaining your sourdough starter involves feeding it and keeping it happy, this is how to do that.
- Sourdough Tips – Sometimes a pile of helpful pointers is just that. These tips don’t really belong anywhere else but if you want advice, you might find what you are looking for here.