Guys, I’ve got an easy and delicious one pan meal for you today.
Yup, you cook everything in one skillet. You know that means? Less pots and pans to wash after dinner. These are the little things that I live for.
I have to admit that I was skeptical about cooking the tortellini right in the meat sauce. You can even ask my husband because I kept bothering him from the kitchen. I kept watching the tortellini cook and and telling him that the recipe wasn’t working. But it did work! It’s pasta, cheese, and beef magic. Turns out that I’m just impatient. 😉
This is definitely great for a weeknight dinner. You know, when you have less ambition because of a long day at work, and you want something quick and easy. Check and check. Oh and did I mention that this is delicious? It really is. 🙂
Skillet Tortellini with Meat Sauce Recipe
(Makes 2 large servings)
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes (I buy the kind that is seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano, but it’s not required.)
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use olive oil.)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces ground beef or sweet Italian sausage or ground chicken or ground turkey or any combo of the above
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 package (9 ounce) fresh cheese tortellini
- Pour the diced tomatoes into a food processor and process them until they’re smooth. Set this aside.
- In a 10 inch skillet, heat the oil over Medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook them until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic, which is about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ground beef (or other meat of choice), breaking it up, and cook it until it’s completely cooked through.
- Stir in the processed tomatoes, pepper, salt, and dried basil, and cook it until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in the water and tortellini and cook it until the sauce has thickened and the tortellini is tender.
Adapted from: The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.