This is what you get when you cross zucchini and pizza.
Now some people (like my husband) may not see these cuties as little pizzas because it’s missing the most delicious part, carbs. Listen, I love bread. Always have and always will. But it’s zucchini season so why not try something a little different. No, this won’t taste quite like pizza, but it comes pretty close. And they are so delicious. They didn’t last 5 minutes in our house. They’re also mad easy to make. It takes longer to preheat the oven than it does to actually make them. Ten minutes in the oven, bam, done.
Let them cool a tad before you munch on them because they are super hot and zucchini really likes to hold the heat. Anyone else burn their tongue and the roof of your mouth on those frozen mini bagel pizza bites when you were a kid (or in college, or yesterday)? Let’s try not to make that same mistake here. 😉
Zucchini Pizza Bites Recipe
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 1 zucchini
- about 1/4 cup of your favorite marinara
- about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- (optional) about 1/4 cup mini pepperoni (or chopped regular size pepperoni)
- (optional) any other small pizza topping
- (optional) grated Parmesan cheese
- (optional) chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.
- Lay the sliced zucchini on a baking sheet and top them each with marinara and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- (Optional) Add mini pepperoni on top of the cheese and any other toppings that need heating up.
- Cook the pizza bites in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. (I like my cheese to be slightly browned too.)
- (Optional) Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil on top.
Adapted from: Easy Low Carb