Hello, Taco Tuesday!
Tacos are fabulous for countless reasons. They’re delicious, everyone loves them, and they are delicious. 😉 I also love that you can make them in less than 30 minutes. Put out all of the ingredients and let everyone prep their own. Kind of like a tacocuterie?
You can use a premade taco seasoning packet for the meat. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. They are easy and delicious. However, I highly recommend this homemade version of taco seasoning because it only takes a couple of minutes to whip up and it’s so tasty. I like having control over the seasonings because I can customize the ratio myself. Less salt? No problem. Spicier? Piece of cake.
Tacos are awesome, but you you can use this tasty seasoned ground turkey in a few other ways. Skip the carbs and turn your dinner into a “taco” salad. Or serve the ground turkey with rice and whatever veggies you have handy. I think that you’ll find yourself reaching for this recipe even on days that aren’t Tuesdays. 😉
Ground Chicken Tacos Recipe
(Makes about 4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound of ground chicken (You can also use ground turkey, pork, or beef.)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- your favorite taco ingredients (I used corn tortillas, hard taco shells, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado, sliced grape tomatoes, sour cream, and fresh herbs.)
- In a large skillet, on Medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the ground chicken to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the ground chicken into little pieces.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix everything together. Continue to cook the ground chicken until it’s fully cooked.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of water, then reduce the heat to Low/Simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve the ground chicken with your favorite taco ingredients.
Adapted from: What’s Gaby Cooking