Who wants some Greek flavors without all the Greek cooking work?
This Greek style meat sauce is a tomato based sauce, similar to an Italian meat sauce. However Greek meat sauce has warm spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It’s the kind of meat sauce that you’ll find in pastitsio or moussaka. You don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen making such high intensity dishes to satisfy your craving for some Greek flavors.
You can enjoy this Greek meat sauce over your favorite pasta. Or maybe you want to pile the meat on a bun for a sandwich, to make a Greek style sloppy joe. Today I served it with a fabulous Autumn-y side dish that’s coming to the blog soon (so stay tuned!). No matter how you enjoy this Greek meat sauce, I definitely recommend adding lots of fresh Parmesan cheese or feta cheese. If you’re feeling ambitious you can add some homemade bread (like sourdough) and Greek salad on the side.
Greek Meat Sauce Recipe
(Makes about 4 servings)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- In a skillet, over Medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the ground beef, mix it into the melted butter.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and cook it until it’s cooked through.
- Push the ground beef to one side of the skillet and add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the other side of the skillet. Cook the onion mixture until it’s soft.
- Mix together the ground beef and onion mixture.
- Add in the nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon, and mix everything together.
- Add in the tomato sauce and mix everything again.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Adapted from: Opaa! Greek Cooking New York Style
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.