Have you ever gone to a Mexican restaurant and heard a waiter bringing a sizzling entree to someone else’s table? You always have to look over to see who’s ordered the noisy, smokey, amazing smelling meal. It looks ridiculously good and then you wish you had ordered that. That’s me. 😉
I’ve brought that sizzling chicken fajita dish to the comfort of my own home. This dish is simple and quick, and there are endless options for toppings. 🙂
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
(About 4 servings)
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided per the directions below
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into strips
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper, and let it marinate while you cook the vegetables.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on Medium heat. Add the red bell pepper and onion. Stir together, cover with a lid, and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Once the vegetables are done, remove them from the skillet.
- Add the other 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet on Medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until done.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the vegetables back into the skillet and mix until combined.
- Serve immediately.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
You don’t have to wait hours to marinate the chicken. How awesome is that? The time you cook the onions and peppers is all you need. (It may not be pretty, but it will taste amazing.)
The lighting by my stove isn’t great but I wanted you to see what the veggies look like only after a few minutes of cooking. I like to cover them with a lid while they cook because the steam being trapped helps make them nice and tender.
I cooked the chicken in the same pan, after the veggies were done, because I didn’t feel like washing two pans. The entire meal only takes about 30 minutes to make so it’s perfect for a week night. If you cook the chicken and veggies at the same time then it will be even quicker to make!
Now is the fun part! Personalize your chicken fajitas. My husband and I ate them with flour tortillas topped with shredded cheddar cheese and low fat sour cream. Also, feel free to add guacamole or salsa. Perhaps some Restaurant Style Salsa that I made recently. 😉
Mmm, so tasty and healthy! You could make it even more healthy by skipping the tortillas and placing the chicken fajita mixture over a bed of lettuce. That’s just as yummy.
How do you like your chicken fajitas?
Adapted from: Skinny Taste