There are many days where I wish I could press the “easy button.” I’m sure you’ve been there. How about making a dessert that’s almost as easy as pressing that button? Meet these strawberry-pecan bars. They use everyday ingredients, are easy to make, and they’re easy to eat. 😉
The cookie layers remind me of a soft buttery brown sugar shortbread. As if that’s not awesome enough, there is a sweet layer of strawberry preserves in the middle.
Strawberry-Pecan Bars Recipe
(Makes about 24 servings)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (equivalent to 1 and 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 9 ounces strawberry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 6.5 x 10 inch baking pan and set it aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy (about 1 minute).
- Add in the white sugar and light brown sugar. Beat the ingredients until they are light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the chopped pecans and stir the remainder into the dough mixture.
- Press half of the dough evenly in the bottom of the greased baking pan.
- Spread the strawberry preserves over the dough in the pan.
- Crumble the second half of the dough evenly over the top of the strawberry preserves.
- Sprinkle the reserved (3 tablespoons) pecans on top.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Let it cool in the pan before serving.
Store it in an air tight container at room temperature.
Are you ready for easy-peezy? All you have to do is mix the ingredients and slap them together in a few layers.
Chop the lovely pecans and add them to the batter (reserving 3 tablespoons for the top).
Smash half the batter into the pan and cover with the jam.
Crumble the rest on top. Sprinkle with pecans. Done. Super easy, right?
Can we talk about these buttery cookie layers?! They are magnificent. I love how they are chewy and a tad crumbly. The pecans add great crunch and some nutty flavor.
I always have some kind of preserves in the house. Today I used strawberry preserves because that was what I had handy. Plus they are a quintessential summertime fruit so it’s a perfect flavor to enjoy on these hot days. These bars would also taste amazing with raspberry, blueberry, or even snozzberry preserves. 😉
You only need a thin layer of strawberry preserves to enjoy the gooey texture and sweet fruity flavor. It’s the perfect amount of chewy texture paired with the soft buttery cookie layers.
I love how these bars are light (not light in calories, mind you). I mean it’s not a heavy dessert like a decadent chocolate cake. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but sometimes you’re in the mood for something delicate and easy and these bars surely fit the bill!
I love baking with fruit preserves or just simply spreading it on some toast. What’s your favorite way to bake or eat fruit preserves?
Adapted from: American Spoon
In the mood for strawberries? Try some of my favorite strawberry recipes, like Strawberry Muffins with Crumb Topping.
Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Shake
I wish I had one of these bars to eat with my latte right now! I love nuts in my desserts!
Oh my goodness that sounds lovely! Now you have me craving these bars as a morning treat with my iced coffee. 🙂