I think I’m obsessed with muffins. Wait, let me re-phrase that…I AM obsessed with muffins! I have been eating them for breakfast every day lately. It’s not the worst thing in the world to eat for breakfast, right? 😉
My husband tells me that I’m basically eating a cupcake without frosting. Oooh, frosting on muffins. He may be on to something. Can I consider this a low calorie cupcake then since there is no frosting ? 😉
I don’t have a favorite one yet but these strawberry muffins come pretty close. Maybe I should re-name these the “Incredible Strawberry Muffins.” That’s what they are – incredibly delicious! 🙂
Strawberry Muffins with Crumb Topping Recipe
(Makes 9 standard size muffins)
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter (equivalent to 1/2 stick), cubed
Directions for Crumb Topping:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the cubes of cold butter and mix to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Ingredients for Muffins:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
Directions for Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula just until the dry ingredients are moist.
- Very lightly coat the strawberries with all-purpose flour (no more than 1 teaspoon).
- Add the strawberries and gently fold them into the batter.
- Grease 9 standard size muffin cups (or line with paper cups) then scoop the muffin batter evenly into them.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping (see ingredients and directions above) over the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins rest in the baking pan for about 5 minutes and then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool.
Store the muffins in an air tight container on the counter or wrap them up individually in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer friendly bag, and freeze them for up to 2 to 3 months.
This crumb topping is…too good for words. I will just say that if there is a way to bake the topping by itself and eat it alone then I would! 🙂
This is a very easy and quick recipe. Your home will be smelling like a bakery in mere minutes.
The chunks of strawberries are lovely little surprises in each bite. You can chop them up as big or as small as you like. I prefer smaller pieces of fruit in my muffins.
I happened to have strawberries in the house when I found this recipe but you can use raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries instead and they will still come out just as tasty. Don’t hesitate to get creative with this brilliant base recipe, like make these into chocolate chip muffins. I do find any excuse to use chocolate. 😉
I’m in love with these crumb-coated breakfast treats!
The base recipe for this muffin is crazy delicious! They are so moist and fluffy that it’s borderline ridiculous.
Mmmm, the crumb topping is the perfect combination of buttery, sugary, and cinnamon-y flavors! It’s just the right amount of crunch on top of my strawberry filled delight.
Adapted from: All Recipes
Are you a fan of muffins? You may also like Raspberry Spice Muffins with Crumb Topping.