Crumb cakes are one of my favorite things on earth. I always say that I could eat the crumbs by themselves because I love them so much. Can you see where I’m going with this? Oh no she didn’t? Um, yes, I did. I decided to make a crumb cake that skips the cake part. Don’t get me wrong, cake is yummy, but sometimes a girl just wants the crumb part.
These bite size cups are filled with 100% crumbs and topped with miniature cinnamon chips to make them a little more interesting.
Mini Cinnamon Crumb Cups Recipe
(Makes 24 mini muffin cups)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (equivalent to 1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 and 3/4 cups cake flour
- sprinkling of miniature cinnamon chips, topping
- Melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, white sugar, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour and stir until combined. This works best while the butter is still hot.
- Set the mixture aside to cool, about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a miniature muffin pan with paper cups and lightly spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Using your fingers, break the crumb topping into chunks and try to form them into small balls that are about 1/2 inch in size (like plump blueberries). Then fill each mini muffin cup with them. The crumbs do not have to be uniform in size.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the crumbs have melted together a bit.
- Immediately after you take them out of the oven, sprinkle each cup with mini cinnamon chips.
Store in an air tight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
These cups are very easy to make. As fair warning though, it does take a bit of time to roll the dough into chunks, but it’s worth it, trust me. Let’s just say you can use this as a meditation activity or as a way to keep your hands busy while contemplating the universe.
I love cinnamon, especially this time of the year (maybe it’s because I’m surrounded by apple and pumpkin goodies, which pretty much universally requires cinnamon). Crumb topping has delicious soul warming cinnamon in it, and in this case that’s even more true with the addition of the cinnamon chips.
Every time I bake with ground cinnamon I smell the top of the container because it’s so aromatic. I suppose that’s true with nutmeg, cardamom, and allspice too, but this post is about cinnamon. 🙂
The crumbs in the bottom layer melt together in the baking process and create a good foundation. However, for the most part the crumbs keep their shape. Isn’t that cool?
My family was intrigued by these delectable treats. They look like mini crumb cakes. Then when you peel away the paper cup you’re surprised to see that it’s 100% crumb topping. (Which if you ask me is a perfect ratio.) My family loved them! It’s shear brilliance if I do say so myself. It was definitely worth the time to roll all those chunks. 🙂
These mini cups can be eaten in one bite. Especially if you are my husband. He does that with a lot of the things I bake. Or perhaps you want to make it last so you take two bites. Or if you’re like me, you really want to savor the treat so you pick each crumb off one at a time to pop them into your mouth individually.
I think anything in a miniature form is adorable. Mini decorative paper cups are cute. Mini cinnamon crumb cups double the cute factor. Mini cinnamon chips sprinkled on top take it over the top. 😉
I couldn’t resist adding whipped cream and ground cinnamon on top for presentation points. 🙂
I can say with great certainty that there will not be any “crumbs” left on my plate!
Crumb Topping Source: What Megan’s Making
Mini Cinnamon Crumb Cups Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Did I get you in the mood for the Perfect Crumb Cake?
How about the Chocolate Crumb Cake?