This is my first time making guacamole. Holy guacamole… I bet that’s the first time you’ve ever heard that one. 😉
I buy plenty of avocados. I patiently wait for them to ripen. (Patiently… lol… I’m funny.) Then I cut them open and… eat them immediately with a little salt and pepper. Yup, the simple truth is that we can never keep them around long enough for me to do anything fun with them. Can you blame me? Avocado, salt, and pepper… it’s so silly simple but so darn delicious.
Well, that ends right here, right now. I’m turning yummy avocado into a guacamole no matter what. Not just the ordinary kind either. I went straight for broke and turned it into a summer time fiesta dip. I added some yummy sweet corn to this guac party!
I only added a few chopped grape tomatoes and onions here. It’s just enough to keep the flavors interesting, but the focus is on the avocado and amazing sweet corn (that’s even in season right now).
Eat this with a baguette slices or chips, especially the chips that are in the form of a bowl so that you can pile on the guac. Smear some on toast or a sandwich or just do a face plant dive into the bowl. You know, like when you see people eating a pie in a pie eating contest.
If you want to kick this party up a notch, then add some chopped jalapeno. In fact, I’ve already got some jalapeno handy for next weekend to make another round of this corn guacamole. We figured if the mild version was this freakin’ good, the spicy version has a really good start. I’ll have to make sure to whip up some Pineapple Margaritas in order to make it a true fiesta. And then I’ll want a siesta. 😉
Corn Guacamole Recipe
(Makes about 2 cups worth.)
- 1 corn on the cob
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 avocados (Make sure that they are ripe.)
- Juice from half of a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped*
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- Remove the husk from the corn on the cob.
- Rub the butter on the corn.
- Wrap the corn on the cob in tin foil and roast the corn. ** See the Note below for roasting the corn.
- Let the corn on the cob cool.
- Cut the corn kernels off of the cob and set them aside. (Discard the cob part.)
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove the seed and peel off the skin.
- Place the avocados in a bowl.
- Add in the lime juice, salt, and pepper and mash the avocado pieces with a fork. You can make it as smooth/chunky as you like. Remember that stirring in the rest of the ingredients will mash it up a little more so stop a little short of your desired level of mashedness.
- Gently stir in the chopped grape tomatoes, finely chopped onion, and corn.
* Note: I prefer using the grape or cherry tomatoes because they tend to have less “goo” in the middle of the tomatoes and that makes for a better guacamole. Feel free to use regular sized tomatoes if you like, but consider scooping out any goo pockets.
** Note: You can roast the corn on the grill or in the oven. I roasted in the oven at 450 degrees (F) for 25 minutes.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Here are some other awesome appetizers.
Jalapeno and Sweet Corn Hummus
this looks amazing for your first guac ever!!! I looove the addition of corn 🙂
Oh YEAH!!!! Guacamole is tha business, my avocados very rarely last long enough in my household to turn into a tasty dip, but perhaps for this I can restrain myself. Love the colour, very festive!
Will power for the win and guac all around! 🙂
Yay for guac! It’s my favorite. I especially love all these fun mix-ins! Juicy corn kernels in every bite sound good to me!
Oh yeah!! 🙂
I LOVE guacamole! It’s just the best thing in the world. It’s so delicious. Your recipe looks incredible, and I love that you added in corn! I’ve never made it with that before, what a great idea! I can’t wait to try this 🙂
Guac is seriously one of the best things in the world!! I hope you love it just as much as I do. 🙂
I think I’ve made guacamole a total of once in my life! Yours looks perfect, Tina. I love the corn addition. I eat corn everyday and now that we can get it fresh, it makes all the more sense. Love how colorful your guac looks. Totally craving it now!
I’m obsessed with fresh corn! Thank you so much for your lovely compliments. 🙂
Oh how I love guacamole!! And I’m obsessed with fresh corn at the moment … and yet I’ve never put it in my guac before! Looks fantastic!
I’m always obsessed with fresh corn on the cob… maybe it’s because it’s not a long season near me. It’s a total game changer, adding it to guac. 🙂
This guacamole looks amazing! Love that you added corn. There’s nothin’ better than some guac in the spring and summer :).
Thank you so much! And I totally agree. 🙂
Hahah I am waiting for two avocados to ripe as we speak!! I love the addition of corn to this classic dip!!
It seems like they take forever sometimes!
Hahaha! Tina, I laugh at your post only because my avocados rarely make it into salsa either. They are just to good with salt & pepper! This looks fabulous BTW. Pinned.
Hehe… glad that I’m not alone! Thank you for pinning. 🙂
Yum, this looks excellent! Bookmarking now 🙂
Thank you so much, Laura! 🙂