How did it get to be August already?
Summer feels like it’s flying by. There’s so much I need to do before I say “hello, Fall.” Well, now that I think of it I really need to do three things… make our vacation reservations, eat some s’mores, and eat as much corn on the cob as humanly possible.
Jalapeno… popper… corn… fritters?! Yes indeedy. These fritters are really all about the sweet corn kernels. I cut them from the cobs and didn’t cook them. That way the corn will stay nice and crunchy when you pan fry the fritters. Yup, I did say “pan fry.” You don’t need to deep fry fritters to get them to be awesome. Searing them a bit does the trick.
You can make the fritters as spicy as you want. I used 2 jalapenos and removed all of the seeds. They were not spicy at all but added a nice flavor. If you want more heat, then add more jalapenos and if you like heat you can keep the seeds.
I topped my corn fritters with a dollop of Greek yogurt. Mmm. These fritters are the epitome of summertime eats, well except maybe s’mores. I better get working on the s’mores part. 🙂
With summer coming to an end soon, is there anything left on your “must do this summer” list?
Jalapeno Popper Corn Fritters Recipe
(Makes about 8 fritters)
- 2 cups corn (I used 2 corn on the cob and cut the kernels off.)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature (equivalent to 2 ounces)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the corn, flour, egg, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, jalapenos, paprika, coriander, green onion, and lime zest and juice.
- In a skillet, heat the oil on Medium heat. *
- Form the corn mixture into 1/4 cup patties and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.
* Note: If you have a smaller frying pan, you can divide the oil up and do them in batches.
Adapted from: Closet Cooking
Here are some other fritter and similar delights.