Everyone has their favorite food to munch on while they watch (or pretend to watch) a football game.
My ideal food to have during a football game is pizza (and a beer). Who am I kidding? I pretty much want pizza all the darn time, even on a random hot day in the summer when there are no signs of a football around. Anyway, I’m pretty sure that I’m not alone here because pizza is awesome.
You may be the kind of person who requires chips and dip instead. After all, chips and dip are a wonderful thing to pop in your mouth at random times during a game party, or a holiday dinner, or at a Mexican restaurant while you wait for your food, or at midnight when you have a random food craving.
Okay, what I’ve learned here is that pizza, chips and dip are awesome and freaking amazing and we should consume them every day, no reason necessary. 🙂
Can we pause here for a moment to notice how freaking adorable these little pepperonis are? That’s how they come in the package, located in my grocery store in the same area as the other pepperoni options.
What if I told you that you could have your pizza, and eat chips and dip… in one convenient bite sized form? Mind blown, right? This dip is part pizza, part dip, and 100% addictive.
I started making this dip back in 2009. (Why does a different decade sound like it is much farther away than it really it is?) My husband emailed me the recipe, I printed it up, and I added it to my three ring binder recipe collection. For you newbies, that’s what us people use to do before pinterest came around. 😉 I looked for the source online. I found tons of similar recipes but none that matched exactly. I guess it’s just as well because I’ve made some modifications to the original recipe along the way.
This dip is seriously one of the easiest dips that you could ever make. You can even make it before the game day and then all you have to do is heat it up when you are ready to scarf it down. Fifteen to twenty minutes in the old hot box and boom, you’re serving one of the most addictive appetizers that I’ve ever made.
Pizza Dip Recipe
(About 2 to 8 servings…appetizers are hard to suggest serving sizes)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced mini pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly in an oven size dish, roughly 9 inches in size. (That can be 9 inches across for a round pan, an 8×8 pan if that’s what you have, or anything similar.)
- Spread the sauce evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the chopped green bell pepper and sliced green onions on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the the veggie layer.
- Add the mini pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Cook the dip in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is nice and gooey.
Adapted from an unknown source
Here are some other fantastic football eats.