Another day, another salad.
I could eat the same thing for breakfast straight for two months and not get bored of it. I usually alternate between yogurt with fruit and oatmeal with fruit. I could also eat the same snack for days on end and that would be just fine. Lately, I’m loving Skinny Pop popcorn as my snack of choice. On the other hand, lunches are a totally different beast. Lately I feel pretty lucky if I eat my lunch without being sick of it by the time I’m done. I’m weird, I know.
Salads tend to be my deal for lunch, so I’m always trying to find different ways to eat them so that I don’t get tired of them. I tend to favor Mediterranean flavors like feta and olives, and I prefer a total lack of meat. Today’s salad may look similar to a lot of other salads on the blog. Yet, this one is different than the others, even if only slightly so. If I change one or two ingredients then it feels like a completely new thing to me. It’s all about tricking myself, not tricking my blog readers.
This salad has flatbread and it totally makes the salad. I actually thought that I bought pita bread and was surprised when I got home and opened the package to see that it didn’t have a pocket. This flatbread is like a pocket-less pita. As it turns out, that is perfect for this recipe because I didn’t need the pocket for anything anyway. I rolled the salad ingredients into the flatbread and I almost feel like it’s a cheat meal because it’s so delicious. It feels more like I’m eating a vegetarian gyro or something similarly fun, instead of another boring salad.
Greek Chickpea Flatbread Salad Recipe
Ingredients for Lemon Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (dried) dill
Ingredients for Salad:
- a handful of lettuce (I used Romaine lettuce.)
- 1/2 cup chick peas
- 1 mini cucumber, sliced (Any cucumber will work.)
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 Kalamata olives, sliced (Any other “normal” olives will work if you prefer those instead.)
- 1/2 of a scallion, sliced
- lemon dressing (see above)
- 1 flatbread (I used Kontos Greek Lifestyle Flatbread.)
Directions for the Lemon Dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, pepper, salt, and dill.
Directions for Salad:
- In a small bowl, mix together the lettuce, chick peas, sliced cucumber, feta cheese, olives, sliced scallions, and lemon dressing.
- Lay the flatbread on a plate and add the salad mixture on top.
- Eat it rolled up like a gyro or just take a knife and fork to it like a pizza.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner