I know what you’re having for breakfast this weekend.
It took my husband a few tries to get the recipe for these sourdough waffles just right. I didn’t mind at all because it was a good excuse to have waffles for breakfast. You know, it’s a hard job being a food blogger sometimes. 😉
These waffles are Belgian style so they are thick, crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Who else loves the extra crunchy bits on the sides from the waffle iron?
Since these waffles have sourdough starter in them, they have a slight sourdough flavor. If you don’t have sourdough starter then don’t worry because I’ve got you covered. You can check out my traditional waffle, whole wheat waffle, or part whole wheat waffle recipes. Can you tell that we like waffles? 😉
Sourdough Waffles Recipe
(About 4 to 6 servings)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 220g flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g sourdough starter (discard*)
* Note: This recipe uses sourdough starter right out of the fridge for convenience. Don’t forget to feed your starter after using the amount needed for this recipe.
- Preheat your waffle iron, and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. You only need to spray it one time for an entire batch of waffles. There is usually no need to spray it between every waffle.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs until they are a bit foamy. (Usually a couple minutes.)
- Add the oil, flour, milk, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and sourdough starter to the bowl.
- Once everything is in the bowl, beat the mixture just until the lumps are gone.
- Pour the batter into the hot waffle iron, and cook until golden brown. (Different waffle irons take different amounts of time and different amounts of batter, so it usually works to watch the steam coming out and check them once it’s not putting out as much.)
- Remove from the waffle iron, top with anything you like on waffles, and enjoy.
Source: Tina’s husband