My husband is not a stranger to making breakfast for me. However it seemed extra special when he made these waffles for me on Valentine’s Day.
Typically when my husband makes waffles he uses Bisquick and a couple of other ingredients. When he reached for the Bisquick he realized we were out. Now what? Honestly, a bagel would have been just fine with me. However, he was not willing to admit defeat so he turned to Google and found this recipe.
I’m glad we ran out of Bisquick because these are the best waffles he’s ever made. In fact, after my first forkful of waffle heaven I immediately said to my hubby, “We need to blog about this.” True story.
They taste like a combination of a waffle and a popover. They are light and fluffy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Well, they’re crunchy as long as you cook them long enough, which is the way I love them.
Morning breakfast time with my boo is priceless. I enjoy our time together and having someone cook for me doesn’t hurt. 😉
We eat our waffles with a simple pat of butter (okay, I like a lot of butter) and maple syrup (the real stuff, not what my husband refers to as “plastic syrup”). Of course you can slather these with Nutella or peanut butter or go the healthy route and top them with some fresh fruit. They also make a perfect base for a delicious dessert calorie fest. Just add ice cream, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream on top for something a lot like a waffle sundae.
How do you take your waffles?
(About 6 servings)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 and 3/4 cups milk (any kind will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your waffle iron, and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. You only need to spray it one time for an entire batch of waffles. There is usually no need to spray it between every waffle.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs until they are a bit foamy.
- Add the oil, milk, vanilla extract, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to the bowl.
- Once everything is in the bowl, beat the mixture just until the lumps are gone.
- Pour the batter into the hot waffle iron, and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from the waffle iron, top with anything you like on waffles, and enjoy.
Source: All Recipes
Here are some other beautiful breakfasts.