This was my favorite side dish at our Thanksgiving for two dinner.
Green beans can be boring by themselves, but when you jazz them up with bacon and onions, it’s the side dish that everyone will ask for. Let’s face it, anything with bacon is kind of amazing.
Green Beans with Bacon Recipe
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 12 ounces of fresh green beans
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Trim the ends off of the fresh green beans (if needed) and rinse and drain them.
- Place the prepped green beans in a pot and add water to cover them.
- Cover the pot, place it on the stove on high heat, and bring it to a boil. Cook the green beans until they are fork tender.
- Drain the green beans and set them aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon.
- Once the bacon is done cooking, move the slices to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In the same skillet, with the bacon grease (still on medium heat), add the finely chopped onion and cook them until they are translucent and tender. Turn of the heat and set the cooked onion aside.
- While you are cooking the onions chop the bacon into pieces and set it aside.
- Place the cooked green beans into the skillet of cooked onion.
- Add the chopped bacon to the skillet and mix everything together.
- Taste it and add salt and pepper, to taste.
Source: My mother-in-law