If you’re looking for an easy and quick dinner idea then I’ve got your back.
Let’s face it, we’re probably always looking for quick dinners. While I can never beat the time it takes to make a bowl of cereal (not that there is anything wrong with that), you can whip up this chicken dinner pretty quickly. And any leftovers taste great the next day, which makes for an even quicker meal (and may actual tie with the timing of a cereal dinner).
The chicken and avocado salsa are the stars of this dish. The chicken is seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. The avocado salsa is wonderfully delicious on its own but it adds great flavor and texture here. I suppose you could call this a deconstructed burrito. I love this combo exactly the way it is, but I suggest you customize it to whatever you love. Think of what ingredients you like on your chicken burrito, then load them up in a plate and enjoy.
Chicken Burrito Bowls with Avocado Salsa Recipe
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
Ingredients for the Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- brown rice for the number of servings you want – 1/2 cup uncooked per person
- 1 bag (10 ounces) of frozen corn (You can use fresh corn on the cob or canned corn instead.)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds chicken (I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs.)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil.)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- avocado salsa (see below)
- sprinkling of cheese (I used goat cheese.)
- (Optional) other ingredients that you love to add to your burrito, like sour cream or tomato salsa
Ingredients for the Avocado Salsa:
- 2 to 3 tomatoes, diced (depending on how big they are)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- lime juice from 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for the Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the box and set it aside once it’s done cooking.
- Cook the corn and then set it aside once it’s done cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set these spices aside.
- Drizzle the oil on both sides of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the spices on both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet on Medium heat, then add the chicken and cook until they are done cooking (when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F). Let the chicken rest for a few minutes then roughly chop it.
- To prepare each serving: plate some cooked brown rice, cooked corn, black beans, chicken, avocado salsa, cheese, and any other optional toppings that you like.
Directions for the Avocado Salsa:
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the diced tomatoes, diced avocados, finely chopped red onion, finely chopped jalapeno, minced garlic, oil, lime juice, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.
Adapted from: Cooking Classy