This is summer in a bowl.
I love caprese. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a mozzarella, tomato and basil salad. The combo is a classic and is so delicious. However, I’m giving it a little twist today and adding watermelon to the mix. Yup, watermelon, which is another favorite of mine to enjoy in the summer.
The sweetness from the watermelon is a wonderful contrast to the savory mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. I have to say that it’s important it be fresh mozzarella for the right texture. If you want a little variety you could try strawberries either instead of or in addition to the watermelon. The basil vinaigrette ties everything together. Now I just need a glass of rose’ wine with this delight and I’m ready for summer.
Watermelon Caprese Salad Recipe
(Makes 2 servings)
Ingredients for Basil Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 garlic glove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Ingredients for Watermelon Caprese Salad:
- chopped lettuce (I used romaine lettuce.)
- chopped watermelon
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
- basil vinaigrette
- sprinkling of chopped fresh basil
Directions for Basil Vinaigrette:
- In a food processor (or really good blender), add all of the ingredients for the basil vinaigrette and blend until it’s smooth.
Directions for Watermelon Caprese Salad:
- To plate the 2 servings, add the following to each plate: chopped lettuce, watermelon, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the basil vinaigrette on top and gently toss everything together. Top with a sprinkling of chopped fresh basil.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner