What do you call desserts that act like cookies but don’t look like cookies? I’m totally serious, this is not a trick question. These bite sized treats that I made have a ball shape, but I don’t want to call them balls because it sounds funny. They don’t look like cookies so I have issues calling them that too. I think I’ll stick with calling them poppers, like I did for my Almond Cranberry Granola Poppers. 🙂 These no-bake poppers are full of peanut butter, chocolate, and oat goodness.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Poppers Recipe
(Makes about 33 poppers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter
- 2 and 1/2 cups quick oats
- powdered sugar, for coating (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, on Medium heat, add the butter, skim milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Bring it to a boil. Boil it for about 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and reduced fat peanut butter.
- Stir in the quick oats while the mixture is still warm.
- Roll the mixture into ball shapes, about 1 tablespoon each. (Be careful if the mixture is still hot.)
- Chill the poppers in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- (Optional) Right before serving, cover the poppers in powdered sugar.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator or in a freezer friendly bag in the freezer.
Are you a fan of no-bake recipes? Some people live for them. I don’t tend to care one way or the other. Although now that I think about it, they really are faster to make than a standard recipe that needs baking.
I know the picture below looks gross, but I thought it was important to show you what the consistency looks like at this point. Also, as I mentioned above, if you think this step is tricky when mixing the oats into hot liquid, try it cold some day. The one time I waited too long I actually had to throw it away.
Once you roll the ingredients into balls, they begin to look appetizing. They sorta look like truffles. (Hmm, maybe that’s what I should have named them?)
These are like a cross between a peanut butter brownie and an oatmeal cookie (if that makes sense). It’s amazing how all of the ingredients magically stick together without needing to send them to the oven. Peanut butter is an awesome binder.
I’m not sure I’d categorize these fun sweet treats as healthy, but I do think that they’re a healthier option than many other desserts (for example, a brownie or an oatmeal cookie). These have very little butter and sugar, especially once you divide it among all of the poppers. The trick, then, is to not eat 10 poppers in one sitting. 😉 The quick oats add texture and make them hearty. Oats are healthy. 🙂
When I brought a sample to my husband, without even trying them yet, his first comment was “Of course you covered them in powdered sugar.” Lol… Hey, I can’t help it that it’s a perfect topping for most desserts. 😉
These were a part of the holiday cookie baskets that I put together for my family and friends. They were a huge hit!
Source: Skinny Taste
Here are some other tasty treats.