I bought a bag of Valentine’s Day colored M&Ms the other day. How should I have fun with them? (Aside from eating them by the handful.) Well, chocolate is best friends with peanut butter so let’s have a party with the two flavors!
I made these super thick and chewy peanut butter blondies and coated them with chocolate and M&Ms.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Dipped Blondies Recipe
(Makes 16 bars)
- 2/3 cup butter (roughly 1 stick and 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- About 1 cup milk chocolate M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, dark brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Mix in the peanut butter.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract. Set the wet ingredients aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Stir half of the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients.
- Stir in the milk.
- Stir in the remaining half of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake it for about 47 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the blondies to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut them into sixteen 1 x 4 inch pieces.
- Freeze the blondies until they are hard. (The harder they are the easier it is to handle them when you dip them in the melted chocolate.)
- Once you a ready to coat the blondies in chocolate, melt the semi sweet chocolate chips. (I melted them in a double boiler on the stove.)
- For each blondie, “paint on” the melted chocolate with a spatula so it is half way up each bar. Let the excess chocolate drip off and then place it onto a silicon mat or parchment paper to dry.
- While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the M&Ms on top.
Store in an air tight container at room temperature or in a freezer friendly bag in the freezer.
I love making bar cookies because they’re super duper quick and easy to whip up.
Blondie bars are made with all or mostly brown sugar (as opposed to white sugar), which makes them chewy and caramel-y. However, these are no ordinary blondies. They are loaded with peanut butter!
Sure, I could have left them alone as delicious peanut butter blondies because they are so yummy as is. However, I did promise you a peanut butter and chocolate party so let the good times roll! 😉
Peanut butter + chocolate = awesome. Need I say more? I mean if you’re a peanut butter lover and a chocolate lover then I seriously doubt I need to explain why these rule. 😉
Of course, you can swap out these holiday M&Ms for other M&M colors or you can use sprinkles or Reese’s Pieces to reinforce the peanut butter thing or any kind of candy your kids like or no candy at all or pretzels or whatever else you like stuck in chocolate. Really there is no limit to the flavors and the decorative potential here.
Which end would you eat first? I save the chocolate side for last. My husband said he would eat the end with the goodies first so he has a handle that isn’t a mess. 🙂
Source of Peanut Butter Chocolate Dipped Blondies: Tina’s Chic Corner
Peanut Butter Blondie base adapted from: Taste of Home
Here are some of my other favorite peanut butter and chocolate combinations.