My mom has the magic touch. No, she’s not a magician, but sometimes I wonder. 😉 Whenever I worry about something (which is a daily ritual for me) she always knows what to say to put my mind at ease. She gives me great advice no matter what the topic is. I could go on and on. I love and admire her so much that words don’t seem to do her justice. What better way to honor her (and all moms) with these magic cookie bars.
These gooey cookie bars are loaded with chocolate, coconut, and nuts.
Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
(Makes about 16 bars)
- 1/2 cup butter (equivalent to 1 stick)
- 1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (equivalent to 1 sleeve of graham crackers)
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan and set it aside.
- Melt the butter.
- In a food processor, process the graham crackers until they are a fine crumb.
- Add in the melted butter and process until it’s all combined.
- Press the buttered cracker crumbs into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Make sure to pack it down as much as possible. I used the bottom of a measuring cup to help me out.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly on top of the crust.
- Layer the chocolate chips, coconut flakes, and pecans evenly on top.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before cutting into it.
The crust is almost always my favorite part and this one is no exception. It’s a simple graham cracker crust, but honestly I could eat the stuff by itself and be a happy gal.
I know this part looks gross, but the sweetened condensed milk will turn all of the goodies into luscious layers of caramelized goodness.
Have you heard of magic bars? It’s an oldie but goodie. You can really go to town and pile on lots of shiz (yup, that’s a technical term), like all sorts of chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, marshmallows, or pretty much anything you would find in the candy aisle of a store. My husband notes the similarities of these to Seven Layer Bars his mom used to make for him as a kid. I don’t think there are any real rules about how many layers you use but keep in mind you may want to limit it just for the sake of your teeth.
Warning, warning, these cookie bars are so sweet! If you love a sugar high, these were made for you. 😉
When I was younger, my mom and I used to do our Christmas shopping in one day. We’d hit three malls and shop for 14 hours straight. I don’t know how we did it. Today, I’d need a few of these sugary treats to get me through a shopping marathon like that!
These bars are super duper easy to make. Really the only tricky step is getting the butter into the graham cracker bits and that’s not even remotely hard to do thanks to the food processor. Stacking ingredients all over each other is a perfect task for your kitchen helper kids. They’re also super sticky, which is of course exactly what kids would want them to be.
Oh yea, these bad boys are deeeelicious! It’s hard to go wrong with chocolate, nuts, coconut, and buttery graham cracker crust.
Love you, mom! Happy Mother’s Day!
Adapted from: All Recipes
Here are some other delicious cookie bars.