Cookies, cookies, cookies. It’s all cookies all the time. Are you sick of seeing them yet? Of course you aren’t. What a silly question.
I could NEVER get sick of seeing or eating them! That’s a good thing because I’ve been baking them since before Thanksgiving… and I’m still baking. It looks like a cookie explosion in the freezer. Is there room for real food? You know, like meat and veggies. Nope. At least my priorities are straight. 😉
Cookies are awesome. Chocolate and peanut butter ones are probably even more awesome. Because I said so.
These cookies may look complicated, but they are not hard to make. I’ve even included a nifty picture guide below to help you along with the directions if you need it. I got 26 cookies out of this recipe. Don’t worry if you get a different number. Just make sure that you have the same number of chocolate and peanut butter balls.
It looks like you have a thick chocolate cookie in front of you. Of course for a chocoholic like me, that would be enough to make me happy. But there is a bonus inside! How fun is that?
You bite into it and surprise, you’ve hit a pocket of peanut butter goodness. The soft peanut butter middle is a lovely compliment to the crunchy chocolate cookie shell. I think we all know how peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. It’s kinda like a Reese’ peanut butter cup, except in a sexy cookie form because that’s what it’s all about this time of the year.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies Recipe
(Makes about 26 cookies)
Ingredients for Chocolate Part:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 7.3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (as topping)
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Part:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the chocolate part of the cookie, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and 1/4 cup peanut butter.
- Add in the 1/2 cup white sugar and light brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll it into a ball. You should get about 26 balls. Set them aside.
- To prepare the peanut butter part, in a medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth. The mixture will be a little crumbly.
- Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture and roll it into a ball. You need 26 balls. You may have some of the peanut butter mixture left over.
- For each cookie, flatten a chocolate dough ball. Place a peanut butter ball in the center and shape the chocolate dough around the peanut butter ball.
- Slightly flatten the cookie with a measuring cup.
- Sprinkle a little white sugar on top of the flattened cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until the surfaces are slightly cracked.
Slightly adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens
Here are some other awesome chocolate and peanut butter desserts.