Cookies, cookies, cookies. It’s all cookies all the time. Are you sick of seeing them yet? Of course you aren’t. What a silly question.
I could NEVER get sick of seeing or eating them! That’s a good thing because I’ve been baking them since before Thanksgiving… and I’m still baking. It looks like a cookie explosion in the freezer. Is there room for real food? You know, like meat and veggies. Nope. At least my priorities are straight. 😉
Cookies are awesome. Chocolate and peanut butter ones are probably even more awesome. Because I said so.
These cookies may look complicated, but they are not hard to make. I’ve even included a nifty picture guide below to help you along with the directions if you need it. I got 26 cookies out of this recipe. Don’t worry if you get a different number. Just make sure that you have the same number of chocolate and peanut butter balls.
It looks like you have a thick chocolate cookie in front of you. Of course for a chocoholic like me, that would be enough to make me happy. But there is a bonus inside! How fun is that?
You bite into it and surprise, you’ve hit a pocket of peanut butter goodness. The soft peanut butter middle is a lovely compliment to the crunchy chocolate cookie shell. I think we all know how peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. It’s kinda like a Reese’ peanut butter cup, except in a sexy cookie form because that’s what it’s all about this time of the year.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies Recipe
(Makes about 26 cookies)
Ingredients for Chocolate Part:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 7.3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (as topping)
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Part:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the chocolate part of the cookie, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and 1/4 cup peanut butter.
- Add in the 1/2 cup white sugar and light brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll it into a ball. You should get about 26 balls. Set them aside.
- To prepare the peanut butter part, in a medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth. The mixture will be a little crumbly.
- Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture and roll it into a ball. You need 26 balls. You may have some of the peanut butter mixture left over.
- For each cookie, flatten a chocolate dough ball. Place a peanut butter ball in the center and shape the chocolate dough around the peanut butter ball.
- Slightly flatten the cookie with a measuring cup.
- Sprinkle a little white sugar on top of the flattened cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until the surfaces are slightly cracked.
Slightly adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens
Here are some other awesome chocolate and peanut butter desserts.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Dipped Blondies
Double Chocolate Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Icing
Peanut Butter Chocolate Poppers
Never tired of cookies, and these look so deliciously different! Love the surprise inside.
Thanks so much Marcie!
Oh yum! It’s like a PB cup in cookie form, what’s not to love 🙂
Never! I’ll never get sick of seeing or making or eating (!) cookies! Loveeee the sound of these … chocolate and peanut butter is just way too good together!
I’m with ya! 🙂
Cookies are the best! I’ll never grow tired of them… they’re so diverse and perfect! These look beautiful, Tina. Lovely shape and finish with a bit of sugar on top. Your photography is beautiful! Thank you, Tina!!
Traci, your compliment means the world to me because I’m a HUGE fan of your photography!!
Nope, cookies are one thing that I never get sick of seeing! I wonder how many actual cookie recipes are out there in the world? I know that I’d love to make these with that PB goodness!
Ooh, I wonder that too!
Yum! These look great! Plan on making them tomorrow. Want to take some to my dad in the nursing home. Thanks for the recipe!
I hope your dad loves them as much as we do!