Breakfasts on the weekend are calorie free, right?
I’m all about the bacon, about the bacon, about the bacon. Can you hearing me singing that to this tune? What a catchy song. 😉
I briefly considered all the fatty bacon and loads of carbs in the bagel. However, I had a craving for bacon. Can you believe it? I rarely crave bacon or in fact any kind of meat. Of course, I needed to satisfy my craving and the first thing that came to my mind was a BLT.
Then I thought it would be cool to have a BLT for breakfast and adding an egg seemed to make sense. You know, because eggs and breakfast go hand in hand. Plus, I’ve been known to throw an egg on a lot of meals that might not make sense to others, like a vegetable stir fry. It’s a good way of getting a little extra protein when I don’t want meat.
What you’ve got here is a simple breakfast at its finest moment. In fact, I think theses pictures speak for themselves. You start with the base. No, not that bass. 😉 Mmm, bagels. Then you’ve got the bacon, lettuce, and tomato, better known as the BLT part. If it has veggies in it then it’s definitely healthy, right? 😉
Last, but certainly not least, you throw on an egg and a little herbs on that BLT. Unfortunately my husband was sick and wasn’t able to try this awesomeness. Note to self, make this again as soon as he gets better. (Poor guy went the whole day and only managed to eat five crackers and bite of toast and I pretty much had to nag him into eating even that much.)
I’m not going to lie, this sandwich can be a little messy, but I’m sure you can handle it. A secret insider tip is to cook your eggs so the yolk is hard instead of runny. That fixes most of the problems with messes.
I used what was on hand for veggies. I happened to have little tiny tomatoes and I wanted my lettuce shredded. If you use bigger sized lettuce leaves and slices of full-sized tomatoes that will of course work too. That’s how awesome this sandwich is. Don’t you just want to bite into all that?!
BLT Egg Bagel Sandwiches Recipe
(Makes 2 sandwiches)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 bagels
- (Optional) a slice of cheese
- about 1/2 cup shredded lettuce (You can use leaf lettuce instead.)
- about 10 grape tomatoes, sliced (You can use regular sized ones instead.)
- sprinkling of chives, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium skillet, over Medium heat, cook the bacon.
- Once the bacon is done cooking, move it to a paper towel.
- In a separate skillet, over Low heat, cook each egg. Cook it to your liking. (Harder yolks will be less messy though.)
- To prepare the sandwiches, cut each bagel in half.
- (Optional) Toast the bagel slices.
- Place the bottom half of a bagel on your work surface.
- Place 1 cooked egg on top of the bagel slice.
- (Optional) If you are using the cheese, put it on top of the egg.
- Place 2 slices of cooked bacon on top of the egg. (You can also break the 2 slices into 4 half slices for better bacon coverage.)
- Place the lettuce on top of the bacon.
- Place the tomatoes on top of the lettuce.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the top of the bagel slice on top of everything.
- Repeat steps 6 through 13 for the other bagel sandwich.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Here are some other bangin’ breakfasts.